Director of Development
The Shippensburg University Foundation is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Director of Development. The Shippensburg University Foundation seeks a highly motivated leader to join a group of dedicated professionals, committed board members, and loyal constituents at an award-winning foundation that supports a nationally recognized, regional public university. The Director of Development reports to the Foundation President and CEO and is a part of the organization’s Executive Management team. The Director of Development provides overall direction for the Annual Fund and the Athletic and Corporate Relations fundraising programs. Two current positions report to the Director, and opportunity to grow the team is available. The SU Foundation successfully completed a recent comprehensive campaign securing over $69 million in commitments, exceeding the $45 million goal. All gifts for the benefit of Shippensburg University are made to the SU Foundation. For more information about the foundation, visit: www.sufoundation.org
- Provide the overall direction for the Annual Fund, Athletic, and Corporate and Foundation fundraising programs. Provide leadership for athletic and cultural corporate sponsorship programs. Develop, plan, and execute the above programs in coordination with the President and CEO
- Plan, direct and execute the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective donors to the SU Foundation’s Annual Fund to include gifts and commitments up to the major gifts level ($25,000)
- Maintain, solicit and steward a minimum portfolio of 150 current and prospective donors. The Direct of Development is responsible for making an average of 12-15 visits per month in the categories of exploratory, nurturing, solicitation, close and stewardship visits
- Manage and grow a volunteer-based fundraising organization that establishes an effective solicitation structure to assist in fundraising activities. This includes recruiting, recognizing, and retaining volunteers
- Utilize effective personal solicitation, phonathon, direct mail, and crowd fundraising campaign solicitation strategies
- Assist the President in the identification, solicitation, proposal preparation, and reporting requirements for corporate and foundation solicitations
- Organize and conduct a business and industry campaign primarily focused on securing unrestricted support for the SU Foundation
- Oversee the Campus Campaign, including the recruitment of volunteer leadership, with the assistance of the Annual Fund Director
- Develop and implement a comprehensive class reunion fundraising program that utilizes class agents/officers with a preference toward maximizing the potential for unrestricted gifts. This effort will also utilize the Annual Fund team in executing these responsibilities
- Develop and provide direction for PowerPoint presentations and website materials to support the SU Foundation’s fundraising efforts e.g., direct mail packages, personal solicitation and phonathon packets, brochures, reports, and displays.
- Provide direction and coordination for strategic objectives and action plans to ensure that the programs under the supervision of the Associate Director of Development for Athletic and Corporate Relations (open) and the Director of the Annual Fund are being carried out in an effective and efficient manner
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration and Office Manager in establishing and coordinating procedures for recording gifts and recognizing donors in conjunction with the President and CEO
- Assist the President and CEO in working with advisory councils and boards for special interest programs including the SU Alumni Association. The Director of Development staffs the Raiders Club Board (athletic booster organization)
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President and CEO
The Successful Candidate will:
- be energetic and effective communicator, both written and verbal, with strong interpersonal skills.
- have the leadership skills to ability manage, develop, motivate, and mentor staff.
- have the ability to ask for and secure contributions.
- be open to new ideas and their implementation.
- have the ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- have strong working knowledge of direct mail and phonathon fundraising techniques.
- be able to communicate effectively with and represent the SU Foundation to a wide range of individuals/groups within and outside of the University.
- have expertise in Microsoft Office and a working knowledge of social media strategies and donor relational database programs (experience with Raisers Edge 7 is a plus).
- possess the ability to listen carefully to and understand donors’ needs, both internally and externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- be able to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
- have knowledge of current trends in the field of fundraising; knowledge of crowdfunding is a plus.
- have basic knowledge of tax implications of charitable giving.
A Bachelor’s Degree and three years of experience in the fundraising field are required; five years preferred. Experience in the related fields of marketing/sales, public relations, or alumni affairs is a plus. Regional travel is required for the Director of Development. It is also expected that the Director of Development attend a variety of University and community functions and activities that occur on evenings and weekends as part of the job responsibilities. This includes: personal solicitation, phonathons, alumni events, committee and board meetings, and cultural and athletic events. A current driver’s license and reliable transportation are additionally required.
Interested individuals should submit only a letter of application and résumé/CV to email@example.com. Additional materials will be solicited as needed. For full consideration, please submit materials by June 5, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For a confidential discussion or to make a nomination, please call Kendra Mozug, Search Manager, or Dana John Cohick, Vice President and Senior Consultant, at RPA Inc., 800-992-9277.