Bookstore Assistant Manager
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Bookstore Assistant Manager supports learning by assisting the Bookstore Manager with all daily operations of the university bookstore.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists Bookstore Manager with all daily operations of the bookstore including merchandising/housekeeping of product, ordering and maintaining inventory, shipping and receiving, and maintaining policies and procedures.
- Ensures excellent provision of customer service to the university community.
- Oversees staff and daily operations in manager’s absence. Assists with training new staff and student workers. Schedules and supervises student workers.
- Assists with determining new product lines and managing vendor relationships.
- Assists with fiscal year physical inventory.
- Responsible for textbook management, which includes working with faculty and administrative staff to secure course information, ordering, inventory control, setting up rental and e-book information in system, recording sales/enrollment histories and overseeing returns. Schedules, prepares and reconciles buybacks.
- Functions as back up on cashier and clerk duties. Prepares daily deposits.
- Calculates and maintains merchandise pricing structure.
- Assists with communications of bookstore events, promotions, and deadlines to the university community.
- Maintains and processes orders for online bookstore website.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High school diploma with some college preferred.
- Experience in retail required.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, accurate, and organized.
- Good math aptitude; bookkeeping/accounting knowledge.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Ability to handle stressful fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Cash register experience.
- Basic POS knowledge with familiarity of Booklog Management System helpful.
- Ability to lift, push and pull 60#.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.