Director, GW Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University is actively involved in a wide range of cancer-related activities, from basic science and clinical research to outstanding patient care and health policy. As a means of maintaining its commitment to expanding its efforts in the fight against cancer, GW plans to leverage the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, the GW Medical Faculty Associates, the GW Hospital, and the Milken Institute School of Public Health to re-focus and re-energize the university’s efforts in cancer research and patient care. For cancer research, these four organizational pillars have established a firm goal of obtaining NCI designation as a cancer center within 10 years, and for cancer care, they seek to position GW and its cancer center as the providers of choice in the Washington, D.C. area.
To achieve these goals, GW leadership has embarked on the creation of the GW Cancer Center (GWCC), which will incorporate all existing cancer-related activities and serve as the platform for future development.
The GW Cancer Center is searching for a full-time Director, GW Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office, reporting to the Faculty head of the Clinical Trials Office.
This position will serve as Director for the GW Cancer Center Clinical Trial Office (CTO), which includes the operational teams and the Protocol Review and Monitoring Systems (PRMS) of the Cancer Center.
The duties include, but are not limited to: providing oversight of clinical research activities, ensuring compliance with established federal, state, local and institutional guidelines governing the conduct of clinical research; implementing processes and procedures to improve compliance and the programmatic and fiscal integrity of the clinical research activities; effectively communicating with the GW Cancer Center Director and Associate Center Directors, investigators, research staff, and representatives of study sponsors to facilitate the research activities; coordinating the work and responsibilities of research staff; analyzing study protocols, contracts, and budgets; coordinating, evaluating, and following patient participation in clinical trials; developing strategies for patient recruitment, compliance, and maintenance; serving as liaison for internal and external vendors; conducting presentations to sponsors and organizations; participating in meetings and task forces pertinent to conducting oncology research.
Other duties also include coordinating with the sponsoring pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in: a) implementation of clinical trials; b) safety data collection and reporting; c) supervision of trial related sample collection and shipping; and d) assisting Clinical Trials Office to create budgets for the activities performed in the GW Cancer Center. This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide operational leadership and effective management for the GW Cancer Center Clinical Trials Office (CTO), including community–based partners, consortia members and outreach clinics.
• Responsible for coordinating all aspects of clinical research operations at the Cancer Center to assure that high quality and ethical clinical research is conducted within an environment that facilitates clinical research and that will enhance the scientific reputation of the Cancer Center both nationally and internationally
• Manage the expansion of clinical research activities to satellite sites and affiliates
• Oversee the structure and processes of the PRMS including Scientific review and DSMP functions
• Assure compliance with the GCP, human subjects’ protection, and all regulatory agencies
• Build the appropriate infrastructure to support clinical trial related activities.
Clinical Trials Program Oversight
• Develop, implement, and update SOPs to ensure consistent, safe and efficient management of clinical trials and the subjects enrolled.
• Provide oversight over clinical research informatics matters related to CTO operations and clinical research conduct in collaboration with the relevant Cancer Center and institutional managers.
• Ensure quality, timely, accurate data submission. Develop quality control mechanisms and systems for the management of data.
• Generate protocol status reports for key stakeholders including Principal Investigators, leadership, clinical teams, institutional review board etc. Provide oversight for monthly reports about accrual, monitoring and audit visits. Provide oversight and guidance for monthly reports of income from industry sponsored trials as well as grants. Accountable for accuracy of trial information in all trial databases and tracking systems.
• Lead QA functions for the clinical research operations; participate in routine audits for data quality, regulatory compliance, patient safety issues related to clinical trials, etc.
• Actively work to address quality improvement opportunities.
• Incorporate a patient centered approach that consciously includes the patient and family’s perspective and focuses on needs as they define them.
• Responsible for appropriate staffing and skill to adequately administer the CTO core functions.
• Supervise the training/development and performance management for Research Study Assistants, Research Project Coordinators and Clinical Research Coordinators (direct and indirect reports). Responsible for the hiring of new staff.
• Develop and implement strategies to continuously improve employee engagement.
• Collaborate closely with Associate Director for Clinical Investigations, chair(s) of the protocol review and monitoring systems (PRMS) and committee(s) to assure the ultimate success of clinical research programs.
• Keep abreast of current state-of-the-art developments relating to clinical trials and provide education to clinical staff and other team members.
• Participate in conferences, scientific meetings, and writing of abstracts.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 6 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
-Demonstrated comprehensive skills and training in clinical research and business administration to include financial management, personnel administration, program planning, development, and implementation.
-Working knowledge of FDA regulations governing clinical research, Good Clinical practices, and OHRP regulations.
-Ability to develop/manage databases and learn/ train others on new applications and web-based programs.
-Previous supervisory experience.
-Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
-Ph.D. or completion of course work towards Ph.D preferred.
-RN with two years management and three years oncology clinical research experience preferred.
-Previous experience coordinating and managing oncology clinical research programs, especially in an academic medical center setting.
-Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Centers/Institutes Stream Management Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: M-F, some evenings and weekends Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000297 Job Open Date: 05/04/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter