Laboratory Technician 2
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 2
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pharmacology
Posting Date: 06-19-2017
The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Virginia seeks a Laboratory Technician 2 to assist a senior investigator in the research of neurological, mental and/or psychiatric disorders using cutting-edge technologies, including multiple recombinant DNA/protein delivery and replacement, simultaneous octuple whole-cell recordings, two-photon laser scanning and immunoelectron microscopy. Training in new techniques is provided.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's Degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline, with a minimum of one year of experience in a laboratory setting (student experience may be considered). Significant experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree. Incumbent must have small animal handing skills, the ability to prepare solutions and reagents, as well as excellent communication skills. Further information regarding the department's research may be found on the departmental website.
This position is restricted and is contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4. Ability to collect data or samples.
5. Working knowledge of the theory and application of the physical sciences and instrumentation related to field of assignment.
6. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7. Some knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related sciences.
8. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
9. Excellent communication skills, proficiency in English.
10. Ability to prepare solutions and reagents.
11. Skills in small animal handling.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=78323