Utilities Plant Operator - Journey
Position Number 3863
Position Classification Title Utilities Plant Operator
Functional Title Utilities Plant Operator - Journey
Position Type Staff
Facilities at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a diverse, environmentally and safety conscious, and effective organization comprised of innovative professionals whose mission is to deliver remarkable customer service in the planning, design, construction, maintenance and operations of university facilities, grounds and infrastructure.
The Utilities Operations division of Facilities Operations is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider for the Utilities Plant Operator position at the Steam Plant.
The primary purpose of the Steam Plant is to operate all boilers in a manner that will provide the steam to the university community for food preparation, comfort heating, domestic hot water and humidification in required quantities at the proper time, in a safe, economical and efficient manner.
Primary duties include:
- Observe, monitor, and operate one (1) 40,000 pound per hour and three (3) 50,000 pound per hour boilers and all related boiler plant machinery;
- Operate the Computerized Boiler Control System;
- Perform both corrective and preventive maintenance as required, to insure a smooth and constant flow of steam to the campus around the clock;
- Conduct preventive and corrective maintenance on the campus steam and condensation distribution systems as required;
- Other duties as determined by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL TASKS INCLUDE:
- Operate and control boilers using HMI System loop commanders.
- Operate and control boilers using HMI Computer Interface Unit.
- Perform all necessary plant configuration changes to safely and efficiently supply campus with steam.
- Blow down magnetrol low level cutout switch.
- Blow down reliance boiler safety device.
- Blow down visual water level indicator.
- Blow down boiler mud drum.
- Monitor continuous blow down system.
- Perform the required valve line up to burn fuel with in the 1 hr allowance when curtailed from natural gas.
- Receive daily fuel oil deliveries.
- Add required fuel oil additive to each load.
- Remove and clean oil guns.
- Clean up any oil spills or leakage that occurs.
- Perform operating equipment flushes.
- Tour plant and inspect all equipment at beginning of shift.
- Attend turnover briefing.
- Review narrative and equipment logs.
- Discuss any abnormal conditions or evolutions in progress.
- Conduct hourly tours of plant and monitor parameters at operator interface unit.
- Take and record pressure and temperature readings on designated equipment four-hour intervals.
- Listen for unusual noises, watch for adverse conditions and keep a keen sense of smell for hot conditions or possible electrical wires burning.
- Perform all scheduled preventive maintenance.
- Conduct valve, steam trap and steam strainer maintenance as scheduled.
- Perform all corrective maintenance actions required on the shift to ensure continued plant operation.
- Perform routine housekeeping of building and plant.
- An additional major purpose of this position is the monitoring, testing and treatment of boiler water, feedwater, and condensation to prevent damage to equipment due to corrosion, scale and/or solids in the system.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY AND ONE YEAR OF RELATED EXPERIENCE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. REQUIRES CERTIFICATION .
- Must have valid driver's license.
- NIULPE 2nd Class License or equal class or grade operator. Will consider alternate license.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, than management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is a mandatory position as defined in the Adverse Weather and Emergency Event Policy.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Application must include complete work history. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application.
The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants have the option to upload with their electronic application the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Your application to the position will not be complete until you receive an online confirmation number at the end of the process of applying for a position.
Recruitment Range $34,485 - $35,675
Org #-Department Utility Operations - 56406
Work Hours of Position Rotating Shifts. 7 A.M. - 3 P.M., 3 P.M. - 11 P.M., 11 P.M. - 7 A.M., Sunday - Thursday and Tuesday - Saturday. Shift rotates approx. every 3 months.
Job Family Operations and Skilled Trades
Band Utilities Plant Operator
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Knowledge- Technical (Journey)
Performs non-routine tasks and assignments through practical application of industry standards involving operations and maintenance/repair of 40,000 pound per hour and 50,000 pound per hour boilers; all related boiler plant machinery and computerized boiler control system equipment. Applies general knowledge in the operation, maintenance, methods, procedures and techniques of applicable and safety requirements. Performs routine, non -routine and standard tasks to monitor, record, sample and test equipment related to utility plant operations.
Equipment Operation (Journey)
Ability to independently perform more complex preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of applicable machines, equipment and tools (e.g. turn equipment on and off); ability to make adjustments as needed. Ability to monitor the operation of equipment through various software and automated systems; ability to determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed; ability to make necessary adjustments using appropriate systems.
Safety and Health Compliance (Journey)
Ability to ensure operational and safety procedures are followed and compliance with regulatory agencies/standards. Ability to respond to safety concerns and/or hazardous situations providing guidance for processes and procedures; ability to ensure post-emergency procedures are implemented.
Open Date 05/04/2017
Close Date 05/31/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 63
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Other Documents
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * Do you have one (1) to three (3) years of directly related experience?
- * Do you currently have a valid drivers license?
- No Response
- * Do you have at least 1 year of progressive experience in the performance of task associated with mechanical maintenance or the operation of large complex boilers?
- no response
- * Do you have experience working with higher education institutions or other state or federal governmental agencies?
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu