University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine
Business Services Program Director / Division Administrator
Position 705617 - Requisition NUMBER
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Division Administrator position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Division Administrator coordinates policies and procedures and oversees the implementation of teaching, research and clinical programs within the Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine. Working under the direction and guidance of the Division Head, the Administrator has authority over the business affairs, funds and resources of the division. This position is responsible for aligning the division activities with the policies and procedures of the department, School of Medicine, and University of Colorado. The Administrator represents the division within the department and the School of Medicine, and the University of Colorado, providing essential communication, and networking for the effective functioning of these entities.
Examples of Work Performed
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Division of General Internal Medicine may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Fiscal responsibility and management of all funds of the Division of General Internal Medicine including state, federal, auxiliary, gift, endowment funds, grant and contract funds, and UPI/clinical funds. Also manages the financial aspects of operations and staffing, faculty recruitment, and other short- and long-term planning functions.
- Oversees Division's incentive plan including monitoring, tracking, calculating and reporting, and regular distribution of payments per UPI and Division guidelines.
- Manages faculty practice plan and clinical revenues for the Division of General Internal Medicine.
- Prepares budgets, controls, and regularly monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds.
- Implements and oversees execution of financial policies and procedures related to all facets of the University and UPI financial enterprise systems (PeopleSoft, Concur, CU Marketplace, etc.) including electronic and paper approval and submission (i.e., POs, SPOs, University Payment Vouchers, Travel Reconciliation, Employee Reimbursements, UPI Travel and UPI Accounts Payable, etc.).
- Prepares faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the department for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitors physician services billing and collection activity.
- Assists faculty with budget and routing paperwork and processing for grants submissions. Manages payroll, subcontract preparation and execution, and expenditures from grants and prepares reports for faculty upon request.
- Serves in an administrative and supervisory capacity for the Division's Research Faculty to provide regulatory and financial oversight and assist with staff recruiting, work assignments, training, and supervision. Prepares financial reports and oversight of all clinical research for Division Head as needed.
- Administers policies, rules and regulations from federal, state, University, UPI and other sources. Administers and coordinates regulations and standards related to business management, clinical, research and educational administration.
- Monitors educational and teaching programs to ensure compliance with institutional and national policy and procedure.
- Prepares reports for the division, department or other internal and external entities as requested to respond to ACGME surveys and reports, program reviews, audits, etc.
- Coordinates, plans and attends divisional planning and management meetings, including faculty and educational planning meetings.
- Coordinates, manages, and participates in the appointment, re-appointment, evaluation, promotion and tenure activities for faculty in the division. Assists Division Head with faculty recruitment and credentialing (UCH and UPI), including processing appropriate visa paperwork with the International Students and Scholars Service staff.
- Coordinates personnel matters for the division, including position establishment, recruitment, affirmative action, hiring and supervision of staff, performance planning and appraisal, and termination processes.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Processes a variety of personnel forms in multiple personnel systems and conducts required processes in PeopleSoft, UPI or UCH systems. Maintains appropriate personnel records (e.g., administrative, vacation, sick leave). Monitors performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the appropriate performance planning/appraisal program.
- Manages divisional purchasing activities, including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases.
- Oversees Division facilities, both on and off campus, to ensure efficiency of operations. Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long range planning of facilities.
- Participates in planning activities for the division, including long- and short-range planning. Works with the Division Head and other faculty members as needed or requested to analyze and report existing and/or new programs and ventures to interested parties.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including professional experience in financial administration/management.
- A Master's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting/business/health care management, finance or closely related field.
- Five years of professional experience in financial administration/management
- Five years of responsible financial, administrative, and supervisory experience in a university or healthcare setting.
- Prior experience with the University's PeopleSoft finance and human resources management system. Prior experience in managing clinical and/or grant revenue.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Strong financial management skills to include comprehensive understanding of academic medical institution financial structure and operational standards.
- Demonstrated ability to manage funds effectively, from a variety of sources and with the use of a variety of financial management software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present analytical assessments and reports, and to communicate professionally and effectively.
- Demonstrated excellence in establishing work priorities and providing follow through, and meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities in a diverse and complicated system.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise staff and assign or reorganize tasks to meet the Division's overall strategic goals.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Ethan Hagen at Ethan.Hagen@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: May 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ethan Hagen
Posting Contact Email: Ethan.Hagen@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00705617