Associate Director, IT
Associate Director, ITJob Description:
UF Information Technology (UFIT) seeks applications for multiple IT Associate Director positions within Infrastructure and Communication Technology (ICT), a unit within UFIT. The Associate Director ICT will be responsible for the oversight of teams comprised of Linux, Windows, Storage/Virtualization and Database Administrators who are responsible for the support and service delivery of infrastructure to support the University of Florida’s computing needs. These environments run in a LEED certified data center housing several thousand servers and petabytes of storage.
This position is responsible for the following major functions:
- Proactively advise supervisor and peers on technology opportunities available that will meet and further enterprise priorities and capabilities.
- Consult with organization to identify service needs and requirements.
- Evaluate computing/networking/facilities infrastructure vendors and products with the capability and capacity to meet organizational needs all while balancing costs, benefits, and organizational priorities.
LEADERSHIP & ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Oversee/direct 20 to 30 staff members.
- Recruit and retain talented individuals who exhibit high attitude and aptitude.
- Mentor and motivate staff members in both current assignments and career aspirations.
- Evaluate staff members’ performance and set improvement goals.
- Recognize and reward accomplishments.
- Position senior staff members in leadership roles, paired with more junior staff members in helper roles.
- Create learning opportunities and consistently set expectations at all levels
- Define critical success factors and key performance indicators (KPI) to measure system reliability, capacity, and utilization.
- Define procedures for load testing new services and all system changes to assure that computing/networking/facilities infrastructure capacity is sufficient to meet estimated demand.
- Define service level agreements (SLA) stating availability and reliability of the computing/networking/facilities infrastructure.
- State typical times for responding to service and component outages, and for restoring services to normal operations.
- Monitor service performance compared to SLAs and KPIs to provide early detection and correction of problems.
- Track trends to assure systems stability or address chronic problems. Compare and contrast actual service performance versus expected performance.
- Negotiate special accommodations when vendors fail to perform as promised.
- Develop project plans, including scope, schedule, and budget, for infrastructure/service improvement projects.
- Track progress compared to plans, report status, and identify/mitigate/resolve risks or issues.
- Plan for equipment upgrade and replacement life cycles.
- Develop project operating and capital budgets, track actual expenditures compared to budget, and resolve variances.
OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE
- Design, develop, implement, operate, maintain, and periodically refresh or retire computing/networking/facilities platforms and services.
- Define and document standard architectures.
- Evaluate and select standard vendors and products to leverage volume discounts via economies of scale.
- Develop standard operating procedures, capacity planning standards, and best practices.
- Maintain an inventory of all computing infrastructure hardware and software assets, including the up-front purchase price and any ongoing operating expense.
- Manage a multi-million dollar annual operating budget in partnership with supervisor; provide input on budget development. Accountable for resources, results, and ROI.
- Volunteer to lead and/or serve on cross-functional project teams across all of UFIT and/or UFIT-ICT.
- Create or improve business processes, including strategic planning, priority setting, user communications, staff training, project management, performance measurement, customer satisfaction, and annual achievement reporting.
UF is one of the nation’s top universities and a dynamic and rewarding place to work. Plus, UF is located in Gainesville, one of Florida’s most livable cities. Known for its natural attractions (wetlands, forests, springs, wildlife) and cultural offerings (music, theatre, visual arts, historic districts), the area also is gaining a reputation as a thriving hub for high-tech start-ups, invention and research collaborations. We are excited about what’s happening here and want you to be a part of it.
Learn more about UFIT at https://it.ufl.edu/ and @GoGatorsUFIT.Advertised Salary:
$135,000 – 150,000, commensurate based on experience and education.
In addition, the University of Florida offers a very competitive benefits package.Minimum Requirements:
To qualify, the applicant must have completed a Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and have five (5) years of relevant experience; or the applicant must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and seven (7) years of appropriate experience.
Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience, but does not negate the minimum requirement of a Master’s or Bachelor’s degreePreferred Qualifications:
- Extensive experience in computing/network/telecommunications and/or facilities infrastructure, systems administration, and programming
- Seven (7) years of experience managing multiple, large, complex, cross-functional projects and teams
- Experience developing policy, procedures, and standards
- Experience with electronic business (e-business) practices and techniques
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise class server, storage, network, telecommunication, facilities and/or database administration
- High level knowledge of core network components and topology for wired, wireless, and Bluetooth low energy (BLE) in a large-scale environment
- High-level knowledge of OS installation and support procedures
- High-level knowledge of operating systems (Unix, Linux, or Windows 2008/2012 Server), Domain Name Service (DNS), Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP-IP), and network services
- High-level knowledge of hardware/software firewall (Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)), monitoring applications (System Center Operations Manager (SCOM)/BigBrother/Tripwire), backup (Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)/Tivoli Data Protection (TDP)), automated patching (Windows Server Update Service (WSUS)/Eminentware), and server security practices and methodologies
- High-level knowledge of analysis, development, programming, project, and risk management methods and techniques
- High-level knowledge of Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) or Active Directory, relational database management system (RDBMS) (Oracle/Structured Query Language (SQL) Server), storage area network (SAN), transaction processing, Java/eXtensible Markup Language (XML), Internet Information Services (IIS)/Apache, Kerberos
- High-level knowledge of SAN networking and storage technologies, including storage management tools (Brocade Switch Software, Hitachi Storage Services Manager (HSSM) and International Business Machines (IBM) Storage Array Management software), fiber switch management, storage allocation, zoning, and Logical Unit Number (LUN) security concepts
- High-level knowledge of virtual local area network (VLAN) concepts for cluster private interconnect technology
- High-level knowledge of load balancing technology including (F5 Networks, Inc. devices)
- Advanced-level oral and written communication skills
- Advanced-level analytical skills
- Advanced-level problem-solving skills
- Advanced-level interpersonal skills
- Advanced-level leadership skills
- Advanced-level team building skills
- Advanced-level conflict resolution skills
- Advanced-level strategic planning skills
- Advanced-level management skills
- Advanced-level IT project management skills
- Advanced-level teamwork skills
- Demonstrated ability to define service level expectations
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high performance levels, reliability, and customer satisfaction
- Ability to work in open workspace environment
- Must be flexible in work style and able to work in an open workspace environment
Applicants are required to submit with their application:
- Cover Letter
- Resume and/or CV
- References (Minimum of 3)
This position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required: No