The Counseling, Health and Wellness Center at Alma College invite applications for the position of Counselor. This is a 10 month administrative appointment with an anticipated start date of August 1, 2017.
Provides individual, couple, group mental health counseling and crisis intervention for Alma College students while providing prevention and outreach programs for the campus community.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised
This person reports to the Director of Counseling, Health and Wellness Services and is an important member of the Counseling and Wellness staff.
1. Provide mental health services to undergraduate students including: intakes, assessments, individual therapy, psycho educational programs, and group therapy.
2. Provide professional consultation services to parents, faculty, staff and outside providers.
3. Daily crisis intervention, case management and risk assessment for walk-in appointments
4. Provide educational and prevention training for the campus and community in the areas of mental health, suicide prevention, Bystander Intervention and sexual misconduct.
5. Plan prevention and outreach programs to campus community through events to bring awareness and education to issues such as alcohol and drug use, sexual misconduct, suicide, mental health and stress management.
6. Provide BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students) program to judicial, court and self-referrals.
7. Enter appointments, programs and pertinent data into Titanium database, ensuring accuracy of information systems. Responsible for maintaining clinical records in Titanium Software system.
8. Perform other related duties as assigned by the Counseling and Wellness Center Director.
Required Skills and Competencies
1. Work collaboratively with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, administrators and other members of the community
2. Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills.
3. Knowledge and skills in short-term, solution focused individual counseling, consultation and outreach. Effective therapist with generalist clinical skills who has demonstrated experience assessing and intervening with a broad range of clinical issues from developmental issues typical of college age individuals to debilitating conditions requiring psychiatric hospitalizations.
4. Ability to handle complex clinical situations such as suicide assessments/management of crises.
5. Maintain a strong commitment to workplace honesty, integrity, confidentiality, direct communication, teamwork, collaboration, and professional ethics.
6. Ability to work cooperatively on interdisciplinary team, to take initiative, and to be flexible in response to developing demands and challenges of the position.
Master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology. Licensed in Michigan or license eligible. Must have a minimum one year professional experiences preferably working with college students.
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College application, a letter of interest, current resume, and the names for three professional references with e-mail addresses and phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled, but applications received by May 29, 2017, will receive full consideration.
For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.