Help Desk Specialist I
Help Desk Specialist I
Position Number: 53059430
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 05/27/2017
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Help Desk Specialist I. The Help Desk Specialist works closely with all UNG Help Desk coordinators/managers and Help Desk director, in providing fast, friendly, dependable and customer-oriented services to support users of technology in every aspect of university life at UNG. Assists in coordinating and managing student and staff work schedules, assists with developing, maintaining and overseeing implementation of policies and procedures. Assists in maintaining the Service Catalog, TeamSite, and Help Desk web pages. The Help Desk Specialist is responsible for brokering IT services with other IT units to ensure continuity of best practices and support methods.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Help Desk Specialist I will:
- Provide first-level technical support to faculty, staff and students for personal computers, enters help tickets into Help Desk system for level two support, and broker IT services to University customers for all IT units. Assists in training and developing staff of student technicians, and follow up with clients to assess customer satisfaction. Assists in managing escalations to ensure service level agreements are being met, and provide analysis and reporting internally to IT leadership on the status of service and IT's relationship with the customer.
- Assist the Help Desk Coordinator in the delivery of IT services, interacts with internal groups and customers to identify opportunities for service provisioning and improvement. The position conducts Tier 1 repairs, Faculty/Staff and Student computer repairs, brokers IT services and, and works closely with IT staff to ensure service level agreements are maintained. Works closely with Technical Support Services, A/V Services, Network Services, Desktop Engineers, as well as other units of IT, to ensure continuity of best practices and support methods among the campus community.
- Prepare knowledge base documentation, FAQ's, reports, and assists in maintenance of online service catalog and social media engagement support. Provides user assistance to faculty, staff, and students. Assists in installing, maintaining, troubleshooting and upgrades hardware, software, and peripheral equipment on a contractual basis with other units of IT.
- Pursue professional development in IT as it relates to your position by way of higher education, technical training, and industry recognized certifications. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of ITIL standards for service delivery, service management, and support
- Knowledge of incident management and problem management
- Knowledge of Windows and Macintosh operating systems and peripheral installation and support
- Knowledge of PC networking in a Windows environment
- Knowledge of desktop/laptop/mobile systems and remote support
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience required
- At least one year of experience working in an IT/Service environment; or, an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above. One year of general computer installation, maintenance and repair experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- ITIL or A+ certificate desired
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.