JOB NO.: 90469-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: CALS/EXTRNAL AFFAIRS/COMP PRG
Categories: Agricultural, Animal, Biological and Life Sciences, Graphic Design, Marketing, Public Relations
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 90469-AS
Working Title: Graphic Designer
Official Title: SR ARTIST(R16BN) or ARTIST(R16DN)
Hiring Department: A071620-COL OF AG & LIFE SCIENCES/EXTRNAL AFFAIRS/COMP PRG
Anticipated Begin Date: JUNE 16, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $42,167 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree required, preferably in graphic design, art, communications or a related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Three or more years of professional graphic design experience in an agency, business, non-profit or educational setting are required.
The successful candidate should have advanced print and digital design skills and an extensive portfolio of creative work on a range of periodical, marketing/advertising and development design projects. Magazine experience is a big plus, as is experience with content in the natural sciences.
Candidates must have these core skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated experience using Adobe Creative Cloud to produce visually compelling publications, illustrations and other materials for print and digital formats
- Familiarity with web design, content management systems and other digital formats
- The ability to translate difficult or technical topics into easily accessible graphics that clearly communicate ideas and engage audiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Flexibility and service focus, including the ability to work with various groups with energy, patience and curiosity
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a project team
This position is part of the Office of External Relations and Advancement for the UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS). The graphic designer is responsible for communicating concepts and ideas through print and digital layouts that maximize the visual strengths of our college's communications. The position reports to the publications manager, who also serves as editor of Grow, the college's alumni magazine.
An ideal candidate should also have several of the following qualifications:
* Strong photography skills
* Science illustration experience
* Familiarity with PowerPoint or other presentation software
* Understanding of the college's target audiences
* Demonstrated interest in CALS topics such as food systems, bioenergy and bioproducts, natural resources, climate, health and wellness, and economic and community development
* Knowledge and passion for UW-Madison and higher education
Instructions to applicants:
Please apply electronically with three files:
1. A letter of application detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position
2. A resume
3. A supplemental file with a link to your online portfolio, plus two samples of work: an illustration and a magazine article/print piece.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 03 May 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 11 Jun 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time