Academic Internship Specialist (New York Union Semester program)
CUNY SPS provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking for a seamless way to finish or transition into a bachelor's degree, earn a master's degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited online degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; and partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members, and 3) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, publishing articles, books and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
The Academic Internship Specialist/New York Union will administer all aspects of the New York Union Semester (NYUS) program, reporting to the Academic Program Manager of Labor Studies at The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. New York Union Semester is a unique study and internship program that brings undergraduate and graduate students from around the country to work as paid interns with NYC unions while studying labor history and other academic courses in the field of labor studies at the Murphy Institute.
The Academic Internship Specialist for the New York Union Semester program will:
- Assist with the development and implementation of a national recruitment plan for the NYUS.
- Assist with oversight of production of program recruitment materials and development and maintenance of the NYUS program website.
- Foster relationships with faculty and administrative personnel at campuses nationwide.
- Assist in selection of faculty; develop internship sites for students; conduct interviews with applicants.
- Assist prospective students with admission/registration process.
- Assist participants with living arrangement logistics in New York City.
- Advise program participants; assist with developing social and recreational programs for program participants.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the program; act as liaison between program and students/host organizations.
- Monitor and report on the progress of internships.
- Meet with students and mentors at regular intervals throughout term.
- Coordinate pre-semester orientation/end-of-term certificate ceremony.
- Assist with budget management for the program.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Master degree in a related field preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Recruitment/organizing experience preferred.
- Experience with or knowledge of the U.S. labor movement preferred.
- Ability to examine, evaluate and re-design administrative operations and procedures; ability to develop and implement new operational procedures.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to use independent judgment and maintain records containing confidential student information.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment.
- Ability to carry out complex assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Supports an academic internship program providing career development and professional work experience.
- Acts as liaison between the College and employer sponsors, monitoring the success of students' internship experiences
- Supervises student internships, assuring adherence to related College and governmental policies and regulations
- Creates and conducts orientation sessions and workshops for students in the internship program; coordinates applications, interviews, and placement as part of overall student outreach
- Provides faculty orientation and development related to internship programs
- Implements and evaluates competencies and other success factors
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter and three professional references (name, title,
organization, and contact information).
June 1, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: School of Professional Studies
Job Title: Academic Internship Specialist (New York Union Semester program)
Job ID: 16663
Full/Part Time: Full-Time