Communications and Marketing Specialist
General Description of Position:
The Center for Rural Enterprise Engagement was established in 2015 at Kansas State University to help small businesses succeed through new-media marketing research. It is an interdisciplinary effort to:
- Generate research-based knowledge related to new-media technologies and rural enterprises.
- Offer hands-on research experiences for graduate and undergraduate students.
- Serve as a source for research-based knowledge for local, regional, and national rural enterprises and others involved in improving rural life.
The incumbent in this position will lead the efforts for establishing national brand recognition for the Center, serve as project manager for the Center team, and manage the Center’s online resources. The successful candidate is expected to support various faculty-led research projects and take an active role in outreach activities. Tasks will include writing, developing, and editing content for social media, website, white papers, and extension publications. Other responsibilities include event planning, delivering oral presentations, developing social media analytic reports, and supervising graduate and undergraduate research assistants.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
- Lead efforts to establish and grow national brand recognition for the Center for Rural Enterprise Engagement.
- Serve as a project manager for the Center for Rural Enterprise Engagement team and manage online resources.
- Apply relevant research to identify and develop market strategies with stakeholder involvement.
- Participate in various faculty-led research projects related to new and social media.
- Write, develop, and edit content for white papers, social-media, website, and extension publications using written communication skills, new-media technologies, and knowledge of current and effective marketing research and methodologies.
- Create, record, edit, and publish videos for use on social-media, YouTube, and other media outlets using mobile technology, video cameras, and Adobe Premiere.
- Design, develop, and maintain various websites using Kansas State University’s content management system.
- Plan events, deliver oral presentations, develop social-media analytics, and communicate research results to clients, peers, and faculty.
- Actively participate in outreach activities and travel to event sites and conferences.
- In coordination with faculty, this position will supervise interns and undergraduate student assistants. This position will need to establish goals, regular meetings, provide regular feedback and performance evaluations.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- B.S. in agricultural communication or related field
- Three months experience with research in agricultural communication (or related field); social-media analytics; and writing, and creating content for social media
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to learn new software programs
- M.S. degree in agricultural communication or related field
- Record of publishing in the area(s) of new-media technologies
- Experience with collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data in social science
- Graphic design skills
- Experience with producing and editing photos and videos
- Experience with SPSS, SAS, or other quantitative analytical software
- Experience with NVivo software or other qualitative analysis software
- Experience with Adobe Premier and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Kansas State University’s content management system
- Experience with establishing and maintaining web-based businesses
- Experience with event planning
- Experience with project management
- Record of publishing in academic, peer-reviewed journals
- Experience with raising funds through grants, sales, or fundraising
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should upload the following documents:
- Letter of application which describes how their professional history qualifies them for the position;
- Current resume or vita;
- Name, addresses, and phone number of three references;
- Three work samples, which can be a writing sample, graphic or visual work sample, or blog entry sample.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
May 15, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
08A: $36,674 - $56,845
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.