Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is the 31st member of the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. With a current enrollment of over 12,000 students, enrollment is projected to exceed 13,000 students in 2017, including both residential and commuter students. GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 850,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.
Library - 4006010110
Cover Letter, Resume
Reporting to the Head of Collections, this position is responsible for the acquisitions operation for monographs, media, serials and electronic resources, including the monitoring of approval plans, renewal of subscription based resources and direct order purchasing using various vendor services and systems. The position responsibilities also include communicating with publishers and vendors, and monitoring of the appropriate budget lines. The Acquisitions Librarian participates in activities including pre-order verification, ordering, receiving, payment, check in and claiming processes. This position will be expected to take a lead role in the evaluation and efficient, innovative use of new technologies in a changing environment. The Acquisitions Librarian works closely with the Head of Collections and other section coordinators to enhance unit operations. This position also plays a key role in collection development activities, including selection of materials, participation on appropriate collection development teams and service as liaison to Faculty and Research Services Librarians.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with collection management and development, including checking holdings, verifying order information, preparing book orders, handling receipt of new material
- Produces department reports as needed
- Collaborates with librarians and campus departments in regard to selection and withdrawal of monographs, serials and electronic resources
- Serves as a contact for vendors
- Monitors vendor performance
- Monitors collections budget
- Assesses quality of individual online journals and publisher journal packages
- Works closely with the Resource Management Librarian when dealing with e-resource subscriptions
- Assists in determining the disposition of donated and withdrawn materials
- Oversees the acquisitions process
- Performs liaison work with selected departments
- Participates in provision of reference and instruction services if needed
- Participates in developing and documenting policies, workflows, and procedures
- Meets requirements for promotion in the areas of librarianship in accordance with library and campus policies
- Pursues professional growth and development
- Performs other duties as required
Commensurate with education and experience with excellent benefits.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- ALA-accredited or BOR-approved Master's Degree in Library or Information Science
- Minimum of 2 years library experience
- Knowledge of basic library procedures, methods, and techniques
- High degree of facility with computers in a Windows environment
- Demonstrated experience in working independently and as part of a team
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience demonstrating organizational and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of automated integrated library systems
NOTE: Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, including a credit check, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion.?
- At least 1 year of experience working within resource management or acquisitions
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with library users, faculty and staff
- Knowledge of Ex Libris Alma or similar ILS
- Experience in Acquisitions and/or Resource Management
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Physical Requirements of the Job:
- Work typically requires light to moderate physical effort
- Periods of standing, walking, carrying light to moderate loads
- Extended periods of visual concentration and attention, manual hand dexterity with hardware, and hearing and spoken word abilities involved in interacting with library users are involved in this position's responsibilities
- Position may require ability to move and shelve heavy books at times
- Job takes place in normal environmental conditions
Position may require non-standard work hours (nights and weekends).