Assistant Director of Athletics and Recreation
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the Director of Athletics & Recreation, the Assistant Director assists with managing the day-to-day affairs of the department, as well as assist with the coordination of program operations & events. The Assistant Director schedules and supervises hourly staff in the areas of the Red Hawks Basketball Teams (Men & Women), Fitness Center, Sports Gym, Movement Studio, and Swimming Pool.
In addition to the duties in the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with the intercollegiate basketball home game events procedures, which includes, the Athletics Events Team game set-up, off-site travel, housing and per diem arrangements for away games..
- Distribute, receive,and follow-up on Student Athlete Accountability reports every 3 weeks during the semester and monitor the Early Alert system feedback in collaboration with the student-athlete advisor. Engage with faculty to follow-up on the academic progress of student athletes where needed.
- Coordinate payroll processing on a bi-weekly schedule. Maintain all written documentation (time sheets, sign-in sheets, exercise programs, membership records, brochures, assessment information, inventory, supplies, and paperwork) in an orderly, complete and accurate manner.
- Collaborate with the Registrar's Office and Academic Advisors on matters concerning academic eligibility. Ensure that student-athletes are correctly documented for the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) eligibility and compliance. Maintain complete files for each student athlete as required by the NJCAA for compliance and audit purposes.
- Assist with the management/membership tracking system (eClubLogic Software).
- Coordinate the design, publication, duplication and distribution of advertising brochures, posters and flyers for departmental use in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications department.
- Provide on-site support at the Fitness Center and/or Sports Gymnasium including front desk and intramural sports.
- Administer, as needed, systems to enable the proper management and coordination of the activities and schedules of the Athletics & Recreation Department, such as, supervising, executing and evaluating Intercollegiate Athletics, marketing & advertising, purchasing of equipment and supplies.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers one or more aspects of a College athletics program.
- Coordinates development and implementation of information and marketing materials, such as web sites
- Coordinates recreation and intramural programs in support of wellness activities
- Organizes, coordinates, and manages intramural and varsity sports events
- Compiles and reports on statistics for NCAA and CUNY requirements; compiles reports on programs and activities
- Coordinates scheduling of facilities and programs
- Assists management with planning and oversight of various athletics activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Athletics Program Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
- Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Navigate to Careers at CUNY located on the left sidebar
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the Apply Now button
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
May 31, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: Assistant Director of Athletics and Recreation
Job ID: 16554
Full/Part Time: Full-Time