Research Assistant (Chemistry)
Supports research projects and activities in connection with CUNY programs
- May assist faculty research groups by configuring and testing equipment, collecting and organizing data, and preparing documentation.
- Performs direct research tasks under supervision.
- May develop or utilize computer-based systems to collect and analyze data.
- May assist in preparing reports of research findings.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Department of Chemistry is looking for a Research Assistant to join the Torrente laboratory. The Torrente laboratory is a biochemistry lab that uses yeast as a model system to study neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. The Research Assistant will provide research support to laboratory projects and activities.
In addition to the General Duties, the Research Assistant performs the following duties:
- Participate in experimental procedures and perform data analysis including: DNA manipulation (PCR, cloning, plasmid preparation and transformation), growth of yeast and bacterial cultures for experimental manipulation, mammalian tissue culture (including fibroblast, stem cell and neuronal culture), protein isolation and western blot analysis, construction of large yeast strain collections.
- Maintain inventory and supplies as needed for ongoing research projects.
*This appointment is for one year and, any reappointment is contingent upon satisfactory performance and financial availability.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the research being performed.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or other scientific disciplines in a related field
- Prior experience working with yeast and proficiency in experimental procedures listed above is preferred
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques, equipment, terminology, materials and substances
- Ability to create and analyze statistical calculations and prepare reports
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communications skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online by clicking "Apply Now" below. In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a cover letter (reference Job ID 16671), resume, and contact information for three references in rtf, doc or pdf format.
June 1, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Brooklyn College
Job Title: Research Assistant (Chemistry)
Job ID: 16671
Full/Part Time: Full-Time