RESEARCH SPECIALIST B
Duties: Seeking a Research Specialist B to work as part of a clinical and molecular microbiology research laboratory. Position will potentially oversee work-study students and part-time laboratory technicians. This position is for 2 years with possible extension based on funding. Duties include:
* Bacterial culture including: maintenance of strains, sub-culturing, & freezing clinical isolates, and antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
* Perform techniques for sample processing (pipetting, vortexing, aliquot, and centrifugation) of human and environmental samples for identification of bacterial colonies; specimens can include anatomic samples (e.g., stool, urine, skin, respiratory) as well as environmental samples.
* Perform molecular techniques including: DNA isolation from bacteria, restriction enzyme digestion, gel electrophoresis, DNA amplification by the polymerase chain reaction, DNA sequencing, assay development.
* General laboratory duties including: reagent preparation, ordering supplies, basic lab cleaning and maintenance.
* Prepare organism isolates and clinical samples for shipment
* Maintain a daily lab notebook
* Organize and log results into an Excel spreadsheet
Qualifications: BA/BS in biological sciences and 1-3 years' related experience working in biology research or cell and molecular biology, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required. Ability to communicate & teach, maintain records of experiments, analyze experimental data & maintain records of use of reagents; proficiency in conventional molecular biology and microbiological techniques (sequencing, basic bacterial culture, maintaining cell lines, growing bacteria); this position may require flexibility to work evenings/nights/weekends
Reference Number: 40-25737
Salary Grade: 025
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: BE-Epidemiology Division
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research