Director, Boyd Deep Canyon Res. Ctr.
Salary: $66,800 - $92,900
Title: Director, Boyd Deep Canyon Res. Ctr.
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Natural Reserves
Date Posted: 03/03/2017
Position Information: This field station is a part of the Natural Reserve System (NRS) of the University of California. It is located in a largely natural and pristine portion of the Colorado Desert near Palm Desert, California. This position requires knowledge of arid land habitats and facilitation of teaching and research activities on the field station. The director has responsibility for evaluation and approval of reserve use in line with the mission of the UC NRS as a whole. The director is responsible for management of the budget of the reserve. In addition the director must participate in donor development activities. The director manages other employees including an assistant director and a steward as well as others from time to time. The director is responsible for completing annual reports to both the Systemwide NRS Office and the UCR NRS faculty director.
Minimum Requirements: Demonstrated ability to articulate oral presentation and discussion.
Knowledge of research and/or operations being conducted at field stations(s)/remote sites.
Ability to learn names of plants, animals, geological formations, places and basic natural history of region around reserve.
Ability to execute physical characteristics of job functions, including occasional work performed outside under adverse weather conditions and be able to drive 4WD vehicles on poor roads.
Demonstrated experience with applicable skills in research, collecting, analyzing and publishing scientific data.
General knowledge of environmental issues relating to reserve management.
Knowledge of management of museum data collections.
Knowledge and experience with basic maintenance techniques for electrical, plumbing, fencing, roads and physical plant.
Knowledge of safety and regulatory requirements relative to field station responsibility.
Preferred Qualifications: Awareness of research and management issues relating to reserves in urbanizing landscapes.
Knowledge of state and federal regulations regarding sampling and collection of plants and animals.
Ability to use geographical information software.
Knowledge of NRS policies and procedures.
Knowledge of environmental health and safety policy, both generally and specific wilderness hazards.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview