San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1700044
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Master's Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
ACADEMIC EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - (Categorical Non-Tenured)
First Review Date:
Evergreen Valley College
$72,866 to $93,545 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2015-2016); Maximum Salary Potential $126,801. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
This is a grant funded, non-tenured, categorical full-time 100% FTE faculty position as CalWORKs Counselor in the Division of Student Success/CalWORKs located at Evergreen Valley College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as liaison counselor to County of Santa Clara, community agencies and business and industry as assigned.
- Create new workshops for CalWORKs student population during breaks.
- Maintain counseling documentation and provide follow-up with the County of Santa Clara on student clients.
- Provide academic/educational, vocation, transfer, career, personal, and social counseling to new and continuing students, individually and in groups.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of career guidance.
- Understand the needs of adult learners.
- Conduct orientation for new students.
- Deliver interpretation of assessment results, using multiple measures.
- Develop a Santa Clara County CalWORKs Approved Educational Plan for each student.
- Assist students in making decisions and plans relevant to their educational and vocational and personal/social needs.
- Collaborate with instructors to develop, implement and evaluate retention strategies and visit classes.
- Participate in the implementation of the District-wide student success plan including: admissions, assessment, orientation, counseling and follow-up components.
- Be knowledgeable about community resources and refer students as appropriate to community resources and services.
- Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
- Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
- Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
- Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
- Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
- Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
- Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
- Foster a professional work and learning environment.
- Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Position Summary: This is a grant funded, non-tenured, categorical full-time 100% FTE faculty position as CalWORKs Counselor in the Division of Student Success/CalWORKs located at Evergreen Valley College. Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's degree in Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Guidance Counseling, Educational Counseling, Social Work, Career Development, Marriage and Family Therapy, or Marriage, Family and Child Counseling
(Note: A Bachelor's degree in one of the above listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline, pursuant to title 5, section 53410.1.)
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Knowledge of community college general education, vocational and transfer curriculum.
2. Commitment to academic and professional excellence.
3. Demonstrated ability to work within a system of college procedures, to identify problems and suggest appropriate solutions.
4. Understanding of the role of the community college counselor in providing admission information, current up-to-date vocational information, educational and personal counseling.
5. Knowledge of vocational and basic skills assessment techniques.
6. Experience with Workforce Training Programs, including CalWORKs.
7. Familiarity with assessment principles and procedures and the interrelationship of testing data.
8. Knowledge of the California Community College student success plan and its processes.
9. Knowledge of the California State University and University of California systems and transfer policies.
10. Knowledge and skills in retention strategies for students.
11. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2016, with enrollment of approximately 16,000 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 41%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 1%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 18% Hispanic/Latino, 23% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 47% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities