Head, Donald E. Stokes Library
Head, Donald E. Stokes Library
Princeton University Library
Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton University Library seeks a dynamic, service-oriented, and highly collaborative library professional to lead the Donald E. Stokes Library for Public & International Affairs, including the Ansley J. Coale Population Research Collection. See: http://library.princeton.edu/stokes
The Head of Stokes Library is the primary liaison to the faculty, students, staff and visiting scholars of the Woodrow Wilson School, including its Office of Population Research (OPR) and 19 centers of excellence in education and multidisciplinary research in public policy and international affairs. This librarian works closely with the School to ensure that the Library provides outstanding teaching and research support for faculty, and course and independent work support for undergraduate students, including junior policy taskforces, graduate students in Masters and PhD programs, and students and scholars participating in the School’s innovative programs in association with academic departments such as Economics, Politics, Sociology, Psychology and Population Studies.
This librarian is also responsible for planning and direction for all aspects of the Stokes Library, including oversight and development of the staff of 2 librarians, 3 support staff, 1 administrative staff and numerous student assistants, and fosters a positive and collaborative environment for research consultation and collection development. This position works closely with the two Stokes librarians who support the Office of Population Research, other social sciences librarians and data specialists, and subject liaisons in other academic areas related to the School’s multidisciplinary teaching and research. The support staff are primarily responsible for assembling and providing course reserve readings for the many courses of Woodrow Wilson School and OPR and collaborate with staff in other branches and library units. The Head of Stokes Library provides high-level leadership and represents Princeton in relevant regional, national and international professional and scholarly organizations.
The Donald E. Stokes Library is an open and accessible facility, offering students, faculty and scholars space to collaborate or to study individually. It houses an electronic classroom, group study rooms and individual study carrels amid its collections of print, film, data and digital resources.
- An ALA accredited Master's degree in library/information science OR equivalent combination of education and professional library experience.
- Minimum 3 years professional library work in an academic or research library.
- Academic degree or strong coursework in the social sciences or relevant experience through academic or special library experience.
- Familiarity with resources in international affairs, public policy, politics, US and international government publications, economic policy, and/or social science data.
- Record of successful leadership, management and strategic planning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a diverse group of colleagues and scholars.
- Experience providing in-depth reference consultations and tailored instruction sessions.
- At least one year of successful supervisory experience in an academic library.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant social science.
- Successful experience with managing a branch library or library department.
- Experience supervising professional staff in an academic setting.
- Ability to work effectively in a rapidly changing environment.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate Librarian rank depending upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website: http://dof.princeton.edu/academicjobs and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information. This position is subject to the University's background check policy. Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct link to application: