Secretary to the Chair
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the general supervision of the department chair, the Secretary to the Chair position performs a variety of confidential and complex secretarial, administrative, and clerical duties in support of the Department Chair and senior staff. Major Responsibilities Include-
- Write and edit technical materials for use in scientific papers and grant proposals
Design or edit graphics for scientific papers and grant proposals
Review, revise and integrate texts and graphics produced by the principal investigator and collaborators
Review and contribute to outlines
Participate in content review sessions
Participates in advancing drafts throughout the writing process
Review and edit final text for grammar, tone, style, clarity, and consistency
Work under tight deadlines and on multiple documents
Meet milestones and deadlines
- Function as an intermediary in communicating sensitive /confidential information to senior administration or external sources and maintains the integrity of personnel files.
- Schedule and /or arrange conferences, seminars, meetings, interviews and appointments by coordinating facility and service availability within and outside the department, including the coordination and implementation of social functions, honoraria engagements and contracts.
- Gather, organize and maintain data and a proficiency in graphing, data-entry, spreadsheet, presentation software and other technical applications.
- Ascertain and arrange travel logistics and coordinates schedules; completes travel advances and authorization forms, submits voucher forms with appropriate receipts and information, and maintain travel records.
- Draft, review, type, proofread, edit, copy, file and prepare routine correspondence for Chair and file a variety of materials such as correspondence, manuscripts, grant applications, reports, lectures, purchase orders, and professional papers.
- Create, organize and maintain Chair's calendar, answer and screen telephone calls, take messages or relay information within scope of authority, open, review and prioritize incoming mail and arrange orders and maintain all departmental and Chair office supplies.
- Greet visitors, ascertains their needs, and provides information as required or requested.
- Attend departmental faculty meetings, and other meetings at the request of the Chair, for the purpose of taking minutes. Responsible for typing, editing, and distributing the minutes.
- Establish, plan and organize administrative assistant procedures and related policies.
- May supervise clerical support staff.
- Develop, establish and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the administrative activities of the department.
- Follow-up on the status of items delegated by the Chair or Administrator to others; may include reviewing, assessing, overseeing and/or performing follow-up actions in faculty searches and hiring.
- Performs bibliographic retrieval and data management of Department of Chair; efficiently and thoroughly researches articles, abstracts, manuscripts, books and scholarly articles as requested.
- Performs other job related duties as required or assigned.
- Associate's degree in business or equivalent.
- 7 years of relevant job related work experience.
- Proficiency in use of PC, database, spreadsheet and word processing application software
- Drafting letters and emails
- Editing documents and proof reading documents.