Chief of Police/Director of Campus Public Safety
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Chief of Police/Director of Campus Public Safety supports learning by assuring the overall safety and security of Aurora University campuses and property.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops and enforces individual and personal property safety policies and procedures. Works with Student Life and athletic staff to design security programs for activities and events on campus.
- Recruits, hires, trains and supervises all staff, including review of all department documentation.
- Develops positive working relationships with local law enforcement and other emergency responders.
- Assists with maintaining positive relationships with members of the greater Aurora community, e.g. the Aurora University neighborhood.
- Supports student education and development as a member of the Student Life division.
- Develops relationships with contract security companies to augment Aurora University Campus Public Safety department when needed.
- Ensures compliance with the “Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Policy and Crime Statistics Act” and the “Drug Free Schools and Communities Act”, to include revisions, statistical data gathering, analysis, and publication of materials.
- Investigates reported incidents of violations of University policies and local, state, and federal laws in conjunction with the Office of Student Life.
- Assists with investigating and submitting reports relative to workman’s compensation injuries and student-related accidents.
- Assists designated individuals responsible for compliance with OSHA, ADA, Title IX and other federal, state, and local regulations.
- Responsible for parking and traffic control on main University campus.
- In conjunction with physical properties assists with testing of residence hall fire alarms as required by the Clery Act and, through the alarm monitoring company, responds to activations of all monitored fire alarm equipment on main University campus.
- Develops disaster/emergency/crisis preparedness, response, and recovery plans and directs the implementation of said procedures.
- Communicates externally with local municipal, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies as required.
- Serves as member of the university’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) and the Campus Emergency Operations Team (CEOT).
- Responsible for security operations and oversight of Campus Public Safety staff at George Williams College of Aurora University. Includes oversight of Music by the Lake summer concert series and other special events.
- Responsible for oversight of security operations and Campus Public Safety staff at the John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School and the Aurora University Orchard Campus.
- Responsible for security operations at the Woodstock Campus.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Preparation and/or experience in Criminal Justice or related field required.
- Sworn police officer in the State of Illinois or ability to attain sworn status as required by the Illinois Training and Standards Board within six months of employment.
- Three to five years’ supervisory experience with progressive responsibilities in administrative role.
- Previous experience in higher education preferred.
- Previous experience in a community based public safety environment preferred.
- Advanced training at Northwestern University Center for Public Safety School of Staff and Command, FBI National Academy, or similar advanced training preferred.
- Possess valid Illinois driver’s license or obtain within 30 days of hire.
- Possess valid Illinois Firearm Owners Identification card (FOID) or obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Good communication, leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to supervise and lead a 24/7 operation.
- Budget management experience preferred.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace.
- Ability to run up stairs carrying heavy equipment (up to 50 lb.).
- Ability to use computer, office equipment.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups; ability to hear verbal conversation.
- May occasionally be required to physically subdue combative subjects, must maintain an appropriate level of physical ability.
- Visual acuity (with or without correction) to read reports.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.