Computer System Manager, Level 3 - Instructional Computing & Information Technology
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Computer Systems Manager
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Information Officer, the the Systems Manager has the overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the network operations center supporting the network at Hunter College. S/he will have the technical skills to work an issue and the professional skills to drive NOC staff and our partners to the resolution of issues.
Supervises the implementation of maintenance plans to improve the capability, reliability, and cost effectiveness relating to the performance of the network at Hunter College. Assesses the deployment of associated support systems that monitor and analyze operational data. Recommends changes to maintenance standards that are in conflict with new technology and affect recovery, operation, and surveillance functions. Personnel will be subject to emergency call-out at all times.
Network Maintenance Administration
- Approve deployment schedules and assign staff to implement work plans that complement long-term maintenance strategies and the introduction of advanced technology.
- Direct staff in assessing impact situations and designing solutions affecting switching, signaling, transport, infrastructure, and/or computer operations.
- Supervise the collection, monitoring, and analysis of network performance data, and establish requirements for the enhancement of those support systems.
- Project manage all documentation for network maintenance procedures across the network at Hunter College in assigned area.
- Coordinate the testing of applications relating to the functionality of the Network.
- All other tasks necessary in the support of management of the Network and performance of duties related to the operation of the Network, including but not limited to provisioning, change management, and problem resolution as determined by network at Hunter College.
Network Maintenance Planning
- Participate in inter-disciplinary teams and act as subject matter expert in assigned area to review and plan services and support infrastructures that will allow the network to become more robust, reliable, recoverable, cost effective, and flexible.
- Manage the development, collection, and reporting of metrics used to evaluate maintenance goals and strategies and is responsible for all associated documentation of network maintenance procedures across network at Hunter College in assigned area.
- Interface with engineering groups to identify, interpret, and design operating support/expert systems to meet delivery and feature maintenance schedules.
- Assist management in business case, forecasting, and cost planning.
- Develop subordinates through the evaluation of performance objectives, career plans, and the authorization of appropriate training.
- Determine staff work assignments and areas of responsibility based upon network/system requirements and demands.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
- Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Significant years of work experience with network maintenance and operations procedures
- Significant years of work experience in management/supervisory practices
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or Operations Research
- Experience in quality improvement and process management
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
- Ability to learn and support new services
- Knowledge of Hunter and/or CUNY supported services
- Ability to develop a variety of approaches for problem solving
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills for service delivery
$100,000 - $120,000
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin May 15, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: Computer System Manager, Level 3 - Instructional Computing & Information Technology
Job ID: 16130
Full/Part Time: Full-Time