Financial Analyst I - College of Arts and Sciences, Office of the Dean
University of Delaware
Job Title Financial Analyst I - College of Arts and Sciences, Office of the Dean
Job ID 104587
Location Newark, DE
PAY GRADE: 30E
CONTEXT OF JOB:
Under the limited direction of the Senior Financial Data Analyst, the Financial Analyst I performs complex financial/budgetary/enrollment projections, analyses of actual activity, and cost feasibility studies to facilitate decision-making and planning. The Financial Analyst is responsible for financial, grants and enrollment reporting and assists with analysis, planning and budgeting for college and departments. Serve as a liaison with the departments and Dean's Office, and with the University Budget Office and University Administration and Finance offices. Develops technical plans for implementation and completion of special financial management projects, to include query writing and report generations using a variety of data sources and techniques. Sets own work priorities and exercises independent judgment in making decisions concerning data analysis and recommendations.
- Perform complex financial analyses, including complex financial/budgetary projections, analyses of actual activity, and cost feasibility studies to facilitate decision-making and planning.
- Maintains and enhances the college enrollment dashboards using Microsoft Power BI or other system.
- Coordinate the financial planning, graduate tuition revenue scholarship projections and undergraduate and graduate enrollment trends including analysis and compilation of information of revenue and enrollment activity as needed in addition to monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- In collaboration with the Senior Financial Data Analyst, prepare materials to summarize and justify program financial/budgetary requests, including data gathering/reporting and trend analyses in connection with financial/budgetary formulation and administration.
- Provide special research and analysis on items of interest to the Senior Financial Data Analyst and/or officials within assigned departments.
- Undertakes special projects to include special analysis and information reports, recommendations for change and/or improvements, controls and adherence to budgets.
- Develop and prepare reports utilizing various reporting and analysis tools, including but not limited to PeopleSoft Query, Microsoft Access and Excel, and Cognos. Such reports are in support of the financial/budgetary preparation and monitoring process, including analysis of financial, student and HR activity in comparison to anticipated financial/budgetary outcome at both the department and college levels. Reports will also be used to maintain financial data integrity college-wide.
- Analyze, design, document, and implement various integrated systems, applications, and procedures for periodic and ad hoc financial and student data reporting, utilizing complex electronic information from systems and databases. Compile and analyze financial information and develops integrated revenue/expense analyses, projections, reports, and presentations.
- Document and articulate data discrepancies or unreasonable results to ensure correct reporting and interpretation of data.
- Communicate with central administrative departments to ensure central policies and procedures concerning enrollment data, financials are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, management, accounting, or related field and four years related experience.
- Effective analytical and technical skills are required, including the use of financial management systems, relational databases, spreadsheets and word-processing software programs.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guideline and procedures.
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate ad-hoc reports that are meaningful and understandable to those not familiar with the data being reported.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts and projections.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Power BI, PeopleSoft Query/Financials, and Cognos Report Studio.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts, both verbally and written.
- Ability to make independent decisions, judgments and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html