IT Field Consultant or Senior IT Field Consultant - Technology Services - IT Service Delivery (A160
IT Field Consultant
Technology Services at Illinois
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
This is an open and continuous search. Applications will be reviewed on a business need basis through the closing date of this announcement.
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Technology Services has openings available for IT Field Consultants (Regular or Senior levels) which will be responsible for providing advice, consulting and technical support for campus academic, research, and administrative units; understanding the research, business, and learning environments of their assigned unit; determining the best fit of available IT services for the needs of the unit; specifying, acquiring and adapting technological solutions to unique unit requirements; and providing ongoing technical support. This position involves supporting both Windows based, and Macintosh based systems in an enterprise infrastructure environment; and deploying and maintaining various types of endpoints including servers, desktops, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, and printers.
Technology Services Field Consultants form a collaborative consulting team serving both central services, and local settings. Consultants also act as members of a team, promoting common solutions and exchanging best practices in order to lower overall campus IT costs. Field Consultants are a part of the Technology Services Field Consulting team within Technology Services at Illinois. Persons in these positions report to the Manager, IT Solution Services who reports to the Director, IT Support Services.
Minimum Job Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to)
• Assist in planning, research, purchasing, and installation of future systems and products (hardware/software deployment)
• Assist units in establishing the unique technological needs for the unit's learning and research environment.
• Promote use of centralized services, acquire such services and adapt such services to unique needs of unit.
• Analyze, develop, and apply selected IT services to research activities involving the storage, transmission and processing of data and application of technology to increase the effectiveness of faculty research, learning and teaching.
• Consult with faculty and staff on installation and use of software applications which also interface to or utilize network connections.
• Advise on use of varied computing and communications technology.
• May participate on cross-functional teams, with limited authority for final decision making.
• Help users find tools, software, etc. to meet their needs.
• Solves IT problems with limited supervision.
• Write documentation as required.
• Document work details and time via weekly status report.
• Ensure excellent Customer Service throughout the IT Field Consultant group.
• Partner with Technology Services Support Services by setting and managing the expectations of customers.
• Acts as an advocate for Technology Services clients in service planning and deployment across the organization.
• Resolves customer satisfaction issues.
• Bachelor's degree or higher
• At least one year of relevant experience
• Demonstrated experience and expertise with Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX operating systems on TCP/IP networks
• Computing hardware aptitude
• Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment
• Demonstrated commitment to customer service
• Experience in participating in diverse workgroups
• Experience administering TCP/IP LANs
• Network operating system administration experience
• Experience diagnosing network problems and maintaining network security
• Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX workstation administration experience
• Training experience
• Experience managing support staff or facilities
Additional Requirements for Senior Level
• At least three years of relevant experience
• Technically skilled with most, if not all, of the following concepts: RAID, server virtualization, desktop virtualization, networking (OSI Model), IT security, OS imaging, Active Directory, GPOs, and MS Office.
• Advanced computing hardware aptitude
• Experience administering TCP/IP LANs
• Understands IT service processes and configuration management.
• Understands common network services like DNS, DHCP, VoIP.
• Knowledge of scripting or programming in at least one language
• Basic knowledge of network concepts like routing, switching, or wireless technologies
• Basic knowledge of security concepts like access control, authentication/authorization
Additional Preferred Requirements for Senior Level
• Training experience
• Experience managing IT support staff or facilities
• Project management skills
Training Requirement for Senior Level
• At least partial completion of an IT related certification/training program (Microsoft, Oracle, Project Management, U of I training cert, security, A+, etc.)
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. Applicants should have a current, valid legal authorization to work in the United States.
For full consideration, applications should be received by December 8, 2017. Interviews and hires may take place before the closing date, but all applications received by the closing date will receive full consideration. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references including address, telephone, and email information. The online application will require names and contact information for the three professional references. Three letters of recommendation will be required for Search Finalists. Employment requires a criminal background check. For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at TechSvc-HR@mx.uillinois.edu or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the CIO
Category: Academic Professional
Title: IT Field Consultant or Senior IT Field Consultant - Technology Services - IT Service Delivery (A1600622)
Open Date: 12/15/2016
Close Date: 12/08/2017
Organization Name: Technology Services Support