STUDENT ENGAGEMENT LIBRARIAN
Duties: The University of Pennsylvania Libraries seeks an energetic and innovative Student Engagement Librarian. As a key member of the Weigle Information Commons (WIC), and as part of the larger Teaching, Research, and Learning Services (TRL) directorate, the Student Engagement Librarian will work closely with the Managing Librarian of WIC and with TRL colleagues to develop and coordinate our instruction and assistance services to Penn students, with a focus on undergraduates. The Librarian will build on and develop the Commons' instructional offerings on emerging and educational technologies, and will participate in initatives to incorporate Digital Scholarship tools and methods into teaching and learning. The Student Engagement Libarian will assist the WIC Managing Librarian with the daily operations of the Commons and with evaluating, assessing, and reporting on instructional offerings library-wide. The Librarian will also oversee the Hoesley Digital Literacy Fellows, a cohort of juniors and seniors engaged in technology learning, and will liaise with campus partners to provide ongoing student services both in the Commons and for annual campus events, such as New Student Orientation. In support of the Libraries' Liaison Services Program, the Student Engagement Librarian will provide outreach and engagement with assigned liaison communities, with a particular focus on programs in which students seek to apply research methods to the city of Philadelphia or the broader local community. This position reports to the Managing Librarian of the Weigle Information Commons and will help strengthen the Commons as a hub for student collaboration and engagement.
1. Providing ongoing design, implementation, and evaluation of Commons instructional offerings and student assistance services focusing on undergraduates.
2. Overseeing the Hoesley Digital Literacy Fellows program and connecting students with mentors in the Libraries and through campus partners.
3. Working with the Managing Librarian of WIC to coordinate Penn Libraries' instructional offerings and research consultations across all liaison and library directorates.
4. Assisting the Managing Librarian of WIC with daily operations of library spaces.
5. Serving as a liaison to an academic department, program, center, or campus entity, with a focus on local or underrepresented communities.
Qualifications: Required Qualifications
* ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library and Information Science or the equivalent in education and work experience
* Broad knowledge and understanding of principles relating to digital and information literacies in libraries
* Strong interpersonal skills and experience in outreach and collaboration, especially with students
* Understanding of current trends in library instruction and higher education
* Ability to work in a team setting to accomplish departmental and institutional goals
* Experience managing student workers
* Experience using the Springshare suite of library products
* Experience with library reference, instruction, and public services
* Experience or academic coursework related to project management skills
Review of applications will begin on June 5, 2017 with a proposed start date of July 17, 2017.
Reference Number: 50-25678
Salary Grade: 025
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Weiss Pavilion Information Commons
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: N-Museum/Library/Archival