CEL/Financial Aid Liaison (SSP IB)/ Financial Aid Office
Employment Status: Full-time, temporary "non-exempt" position.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, occasional evening and weekend hours.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning May 3, 2017.
About the University:
CSUSB is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire, and it has the second highest African American and Hispanic enrollments of all public universities in California. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so. For more information on the campus, please visit the CSUSB website.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Financial Aid Office, the CEL/Financial Aid Liaison - Student Services Professional IB (SSP IB) will provide liaison service between the Financial Aid Office (FAO) and College of Extended Learning (CEL). Typical activities include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent will work in conjunction with the Financial Aid Loan Coordinator and assist CEL regarding the servicing of Direct Loans, Alternative Loans, and providing service to CEL students in both service areas.
- Incumbent will allocate time working in both the Financial Aid Office and CEL centers on a weekly basis and provide CEL with weekly updates on financial aid status of students participating in CEL course sessions who are prospective and current aid applicants and/or recipients.
- Incumbent will attend CEL and FAO staff meetings and provide updates and training on CEL and/or FAO programs, procedures, operations and/or services. Keep staff from both areas updated on most recent services and policy changes that promote quality customer service that encompasses the mission and vision of the Financial Aid Office.
- Incumbent will monitor CEL financial aid applicant status and ensure timely notification to CEL and FAO should problems arise.
- Incumbent will ensure CEL students are kept abreast of financial aid options and provide both written and verbal communication about their financial aid status.
- Incumbent will interacts with students, parents and general public regarding all aspects of financial aid such as the application process; federal, state and institutional policies and procedures. Interactions take place on a daily basis in a variety of settings including front counter, telephone, and one-on-one sessions. Referral where appropriate for issues related to professional judgment and/or referrals to campus-based support services to insure appropriate guidance and accurate information is provided to students and their parents.
- Incumbent is required to stay current on applicable federal, state, and system-wide regulations and apply knowledge appropriately.
- Incumbent will conduct financial aid workshops for students and parents that provide clear description of all federal and state programs, eligibility requirements, types of aid available and clearly explain the financial aid application process in its entirety.
- Incumbent will serve on FAO designated committees and will provide front counter service as needed.
- Incumbent will perform other duties as assigned.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Applicants must be familiar with Financial Aid policies, procedures, and program implementation. (Participating/receiving financial aid does not equate to professional experience)
- Applicants must have presentation experience in both a small and large group setting.
- Applicants must have quality writing skills
- Applicants must have the ability to learn, interpret, and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures relating to and impacting the applicable program, organizational unit, and/or area specialty.
- Applicants must have well developed organizational skills, communication skills and computer skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with a culturally diverse university community.
- Ability to organize and plan work and projects including handling multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in written or presentation form.
- California State University (CSU) financial aid office experience
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information:http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)