Humanities Adjunct Instructor
Diablo Valley College
Humanities Adjunct Instructor
Job Number: F00315
Salary: $59.70 - $ 84.36 per hour
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.4cdcareers.net/postings/4274
Description of Position
This position is a semester-by-semester position, and includes 3-9 hours of classroom instruction. All faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, departmental activities, and the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the teaching assignment may be in the evening program. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. the advancement of student learning through dedicated, exemplary instruction in accordance with established course outlines;
2. maintenance of appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
3. provide classroom instruction in accordance with approved course outlines.
4. prepare and grade class assignments and examinations and inform students of their academic progress.
5. inform students of course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements.
6. maintain attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to published deadlines.
7. post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Adjunct Faculty duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. providing instruction in accordance with established curriculum, course outlines and class schedules;
2. creating and maintaining an environment which emphasizes learning, encourages free discussion of ideas and critical thinking;
3. evaluating progress of students concerning educational matters and grades student work;
4. meeting with students outside of class;
5. maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
6. maintaining current knowledge in the subject matter areas;
7. fulfilling professional responsibilities of a part-time/temporary faculty member;
8. maintaining accurate academic records;
9. performing other related duties as assigned.
The applicant must possess one of the following qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
1. A valid California community college instructor credential authorizing full-time instruction in Humanities OR
2. Master’s degree in Humanities OR
3. The Equivalent. (If you believe that you meet the minimum qualifications via equivalency, please fill out the equivalency petition form in the attachment section of the online application for consideration.)
1. Ability and willingness to modify personal teaching style based on current research in effective teaching strategies.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic backgrounds, cultures, preparation, learning styles, and/or disabilities.
3. Demonstrated excellence in preparation and knowledge in the subject area.
4. Broad and integrated knowledge of the visual arts, literature, music, philosophy, and history of Western and non-Western civilizations.
Demonstrated ability to teach courses within the full range of department course offerings.
It is the District’s policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identity, race, color, ancestry, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, parental status, citizenship or because an individual is perceived to have one or more of these characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.