Specialist, Senior Library - Technical Services
General Statement of Job
Assist in the work related to making physical and electronic library materials ready for use; including maintenance of metadata records, physical processing, and data loading.
Location Pinnacle Hours Monday - Friday 40 hours within established schedule Salary Specialist 6/118 ($31,394.00 - $44,848.00) FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Head Librarian, Technical Services and Library Automation Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Protocols for search and retrieval within library systems.
- Network security standards.
- Standards and best practices in electronic resource or metadata management.
- Principles and practices of technical services library operations.
- Knowledge of LC/NLM library classification systems.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently and coordinate own work in relation to other workflows in the department with attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to learn, analyze, and utilize existing and emerging metadata standards.
- Following instructions precisely and demonstrating accuracy.
- Effectively use initiative and independent judgement with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities.
- Working independently and within a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with diverse groups.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-discipline project teams.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Understanding of bibliographic and electronic resource database search structure and metadata structure.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- One year related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience with cataloging applications and software including OCLC Connexion or similar.
- Experience using MARC format and other metadata-related standard formats
- Experience assigning LC and NLM call numbers
- Bachelor's degree.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 30 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of principles and practices of technical services library operations in a higher education environment.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.