Academic Advisor - Department of Computer Science (A1700265)
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The primary function of this position is to advise current Computer Science graduate students on various procedures relating to thesis format and deposit, coordinate recruitment and admissions procedures, and collaborate with the Department's Director of Graduate Programs, Coordinator of Graduate Programs, and Academic Advisors and Graduate College staff on a variety of related areas.
Academic advising duties:
- Advise current Computer Science graduate students on the fulfillment of degree requirements and other academic needs.
- Advise current Computer Science doctoral graduate students on the policies and procedures of preliminary and final defense examinations.
- Work with other graduate academic advisors and other professional staff in advising Computer Science graduate students on the fulfillment of degree requirements and other academic needs.
- Advise Computer Science graduate students on the policies and procedures of thesis format, deposit and departmental clearance.
- Collaborate with the Program Coordinator in the degree certification process at the departmental level.
- Provide information on degree requirements to admitted BS/MS and BS/MCS students.
- Coordinate the orientation activities of incoming graduate students such as departmental check-in activities and welcome sessions.
Manage the Computer Science Graduate Admissions process in conjunction with peer Academic Professionals:
- Advise applicants and potential applicants to the graduate programs in Computer Science in matters pertaining to admissibility and application procedures.
- Coordinate and participate in activities of application processing such as independently evaluating transcripts and standardized test scores which meet departmental requirements, managing the flow of application information.
- Attend graduate admissions committee meetings to provide additional information requested by committee members.
- Maintain a familiarity with departmental and university admissions policy requirements and procedures.
Coordination with the Graduate College and International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS):
- Serve as Thesis Reviewer for CS department.
- Serve as a Petition Reviewer for CS department.
- Process Optional Practical Training (OPT) requests and serve as back-up staff for processing Curricular Practical Training (CPT) requests for international students in compliance with ISSS guidelines.
Participate in the graduate recruiting activities:
- Attend graduate recruiting fairs with CS Graduate Programs Coordinator and College of Engineering staff.
- Coordinate activities associated with CS graduate student recruiting events such as meeting with visiting students, collaborating with departmental stakeholders to organize and deliver programming for recruits.
- Develop/compile/maintain statistics pertinent to the Department's graduate programs.
- Provide information as needed by the Director of Graduate Programs and Coordinator of Graduate Programs with regard to departmental policies and procedures pertaining to all aspects of graduate programs and admissions processes.
Participate in other related projects integral to the mission of CS graduate programs.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least two years of experience providing student academic support in a higher education setting.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage diverse activities. Must be highly organized and be able to work under multiple deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and knowledge of University of Illinois graduate admissions and Graduate College policies and procedures.
The Academic Advisor position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is in early July. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by May 29, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Denise Corray, email@example.com, 217-300-3309.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Computer Science
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 05/01/2017
Close Date: 05/29/2017