Food Service Worker - Bake Shop
Requisition # 2017-7229
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Date Posted 3/1/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
Application Deadline ..
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we'd love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
Is responsible for performing numerous tasks relative to bakery operations. Specific functions include assisting bakers in food preparation, packaging food for distribution, safe operation of bakery equipment and following proper garbage disposal and sanitation procedures.
- Assist bakers in food preparation.
- Pan up frozen product for baking.
- Prepare pans as directed by manager/bakers.
- De-pan baked products for packaging.
- Package and label bakery produces for distribution.
- Safely operates bakery equipment including automatic pan & utensil washing machine and cookie machine.
- Maintains bake shop, bakery equipment and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Reports any safety and sanitation hazards to manager.
- Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go” and assists in daily, weekly and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties in accordance with NJ State Sanitation Code.
- Maintains the storage areas utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing a FIFO (first in/first out) policy for all foodstuffs.
- Adheres to policies as addressed in the Personnel Manual, including policies in reference to smoking, employee meals, uniforms, conduct, appearance, safety, etc.
- Performs other tasks as directed by management.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Flexibility with scheduling. Weekend work and work outside unit required.
Essential Job Function
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time, up to 8 hours per day;
- Sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day,
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Lift or carry up to 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Push or pull using forces up to 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing, or pulling (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Lift up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead and 100 pounds to waist height;
- Work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc);
- Possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Six months in a commercial or institutional Bake Shop setting.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to take direction and work with others
- Must be able to learn prescribed methods.
- Must be able to work rapidly and efficiently during rush periods.
- Must be familiar with food service procedures.
All Campus Dining employees are considered essential and are expected to be available to work as directed by the department during emergencies and certain campus events.
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check and post-offer pre-employment physical successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.