This position is responsible for the Business and Human Resource activities in the Bookstore. Tasks include scheduling, payroll management, completing payroll functions, and ensuring HR compliance. Responsibilities include payroll productivity, ensuring high levels of customer service, morale improvement initiatives, employee training, mentoring, developing, and leading student employees. This position is responsible for managing the operations of the bookstore facility, equipment, and supplies, and managing bookstore operational expenses to plan. This position will work heavily with Auxiliary Accounting in relation to any bookstore issues or accounting function needs.
Student Staff Management and Development
- Schedule and assign job duties to supervised student and temporary staff.
- Maintain adequate staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Train students on retail skills, how to provide excellent customer service, and professionalism.
- Attain student staff productivity and high customer service levels through coaching, counseling, developing, disciplining employees, and leading by example.
- Develop student employee retention and loyalty by implementing morale enhancing programs.
- Achieve financial objectives by managing labor and expenses to budget, investigate variances, and takes steps to correct identified issues. Identify trends and work with Director to modify plans as needed to support the customer and enhance the customer experience.
- Serve as the Human Resources representative for all Bookstore employees.
- Stay current with all Federal, State, and University policies.
- Train students on and enforce compliance on PCI, security policies, and other policies.
- Attend trainings and proactively manages the files.
- Complete all employee files per audit.
- Complete all hire/fire/promotions paperwork.
- Create/oversee schedules that meet customer needs and budgets.
- Develop and maintain employee appreciation and morale improvement initiatives.
- Serve as one of the Bookstore's "Campus Security Authorities" in support of the CLERY Act.
- Manages the COOP (Continuity of Operations Planning) process, safety preparedness, and any security or safety programs.
Operations, Systems, and Facilities Management
- Responsible for point-of-sale system operating smoothly with coordination through campus IT and POS provider.
- Ensure PCI compliance and assist with annual PCI attestation.
- Troubleshoot and fix variances with cashiering procedures.
- Manage all transactions and daily closeouts to confirm accurate reporting by cashiers and POS system.
- Work collaboratively with the Auxiliary Accounting office to provide accurate reporting or address other financial operating needs.
- Manage equipment and facility maintenance & repair.
- Manage the purchasing of all Bookstore operating supplies (register receipt tape, shopping bags, etc.).
- Manage the Loss Prevention program for the bookstore.
- Manage store operations expenses to budget or within appropriate ratios.
- Maintain Bookstore visual and cleanliness standards.
Business and Community Relations
- Work collaboratively with the Auxiliary Accounting Department. Liaison between Bookstore and Auxiliary Accounting. Assist with collection of invoices and credit memos. Assist with Bookstore journal entries.
- Maintain front end communications with students and campus community members.
- Plan and implement store event or theme decorations, such as holiday decorations. Collaborate with GM Buyer to coordinate merchandise window displays.
- Coordinate support for Auxiliary Services Commode Chronicles installations.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships within the University community and with faculty and staff.
- Assists with Special Accounts activities such as working with the VA/VOC and the Accounting Department to set-up accounts, placing special orders such as ink, and assist Special Accounts students.
- Perform store manager opening and closing duties as scheduled. Some nights and weekend hours are required.
- As part of the Bookstore Leadership Team, participate in developing, implementing, and improving the Bookstore's operations, customer service, and morale.
- Manage the Bookstore Donation program.
- Manage the Bookstore Gift Card program.
- Assist the GM Buyer with the bookstore Special Order program for university departments and clubs.
- Collaborate with the GM Buyer on managing and developing the consignment program.
- Participate with other industry peers through the Rocky Mountain Skyline Booksellers Association and National Association of College Stores.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with retail financial principles including fiscal planning, budgeting, expense management, and cash flow.
- Experienced in Human Resource processes, procedures, and payroll administration.
- Experienced in payroll management including budgeting payroll to plan, planning payroll hours and expense, and creating staffing schedules to meet business demands and high levels of customer service.
- Experience in leading, managing, supervising, motivating, and disciplining employees.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to lead customer service teams.
- Experience in retail marketing and promotional planning.
- Ability to successfully deliver operational enhancements and solutions and continuous improvement.
- Leadership vision yet with a hands-on/participatory mindset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within in the Bookstore, Auxiliary Services, and the University.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Demonstrated experience working with a large part-time staff.
- Demonstrated ability to independently perform the wide range of administrative and financial responsibilities associated with this position.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations in a multi-cultural environment that is committed to diversity and equality in education.
- Excellent ability to manage complex situations simultaneously while achieving results above satisfactory level.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in business or a related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible administrative and/or operations experience in a retail or professional service undustry
- Three to five years of advanced (management) level customer service experience.
- Availability to include nights and weekend hours.
- Three to five years of experience in supervising at least 20 part time staff
- Management and operational experience in a university bookstore.
- Master's degree in business or associated field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in human resources and finance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by May 15, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40105 - Bookstore
Posting Date: May 1, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sally Greene
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00420133