Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant - Parkinson's Disease Department of Physiology & Biophysics
Nature of Work:
The Department of Physiology and Biophysics has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The position involves active wet bench research using mouse models to examine the midbrain dopaminergic system. The position also involves lab management, ordering supplies and management of the mouse colonies.
- Research related to Parkinson's disease.
- This position will be directly supervised by Dr. Sukumar Vijayaraghavan.
- This position will not have supervisory duties.
Example of Work:
- Experiments on Parkinson's model mouse. This will involve unilateral brain injections of Parkinsonian toxins.
- Brain sectioning and immunohistochemical measurements. This involves staining brain sections with antibodies and fluorescent secondaries.
- Confocal microscopy in order to visualize labeled neurons.
- Maintenance of mouse colonies.
- Sending tail snips out for genotyping
- Ordering lab supplies
- Bachelor's degree in Neuroscience or related field is require.
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be enthusiastic and driven by an abiding interest in research.
- Must have some wet bench experience in a lab setting.
- Must be willing to read papers and discuss them with the supervisor.
- Experience in tissue sectioning is preferred.
- Experience in immunohistochemical techniques preferred.
- Experience in imaging and electrophysiology is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09373
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20127 - SOM - Physiology
Posting Date: May 1, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dr. Sukumar Vijayaraghavan
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00634147