Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
We seek a highly motivated individual to join a dynamic team developing the Human Biologics Cooperative (HBC) for the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Colorado.
The candidate's primary responsibilities will be obtaining consent from participants, banking samples, cataloguing samples, managing the HBC database, be the point person for sample use requests between PIs, ensuring that hosting labs are storing samples appropriately.
If time allows, other responsibilities may include collecting and processing the human biologic samples, analyzing resultant data, preparing reports of quantitative findings including statistical analysis, maintain laboratory research records of all experiments performed, instrumentation quality control, communication with collaborators about experimental design and results, and assisting with preparation of technical reports, publications and presentations.
The HBC will focus on research pertaining to coagulation, blood conservation and chronic pain.
The candidate will report to the Director of the HBC.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Consent patients for participation in clinical research studies
- Collect and process human tissue, blood, and other clinical samples
- Prepare report of quantitative findings including statistical analysis
- Maintain laboratory research records of all experiments performed
- Cataloguing samples
- Managing the HBC database
- Function as the point person for sample use requests between PIs
- Ensure hosting labs are storing samples appropriately
- Routine calibration, testing, and validation of LC and MS systems
- Biomolecule extraction
- Preparation and addition of internal standard solutions
- Oral and written presentation of technical results
- Communicate regularly with clients, including meetings and responding to email and phone queries
- Maintenance of computers and software
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are required.
- The ability to independently solve problems and troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation is required.
- Experience maintaining good records of research and reporting scientific findings are required.
- Previous research experience is required.
- Candidate must be proficient with computer operating systems (Windows and/or Mac) and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Proficiency with data analysis software is strongly preferred.
- MS preferred. BS or BA required. Degree(s) in chemistry, biochemistry, or biology strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09376
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20138 - SOM-Anesthesiology
Posting Date: May 1, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kecia Keliiholokai
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00733103