Chemistry Stockroom Manager and Campus Chemical Hygiene
The Department of Chemistry seeks applications for a Chemistry Stockroom Manager and Campus Chemical Hygiene. This is a full-time, 12-month position. This position will report to the Chair of the Chemistry Department. The Chemistry Stockroom Manager and Campus Chemical Hygiene supervises the stockroom operation in support of the chemistry teaching laboratories, ensuring that adequate supplies of reagents and equipment are available, works with faculty and Laboratory Coordinator to periodically update lists of chemicals and supplies used each week in each laboratory course, maintains and restocks supplies within student laboratory drawers and prepares and coordinates supplies and equipment for all Chemistry laboratory classes.
In addition the Chemistry Stockroom Manager and Campus Chemical Hygene will:
- Supervise staff and student stockroom assistants in tasks such as the preparation of reagents the transport of equipment and chemical to and from chemistry laboratory spaces, the assisting of laboratory students at the stockroom window and maintenance of all chemistry teaching laboratories to ensure that they are in an orderly and safe condition, including bench and hood spaces.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of sufficient quantities of reactants and reagents for all chemistry teaching laboratories, and organize and maintain the chemistry-related stockroom and storage facilities.
- Coordinate, hire and approve timecards of student workers for stockroom and laboratory assistants, develops, delivers, and documents safety training for faculty, staff, and students and advise and instruct students and faculty regarding safe chemical practices and proper equipment operation.
- Maintain a proper stock of personal protective equipment, including gloves, goggles, and lab coats and ensure that all chemical labeling and storage meets the requirement of the Knox College’s Chemical Hygiene Plan and contribute to the maintenance of a computerized inventory of all chemicals, apparatus, and equipment in chemistry-related storage and laboratory spaces.
- Assist in the collection of chemistry laboratory wastes, and arrange for temporary storage of wastes.
- Negotiate with vendors to ensure maximum cost savings on chemicals, supplies, and equipment needed in the chemistry teaching laboratories and research laboratories.
- Issue purchase orders for chemicals, supplies, and equipment requested by Chemistry Department faculty for chemicals, apparatus and equipment required for teaching and research laboratory operations and Maintain records of purchase orders, and communicate with suppliers in the event of any order discrepancies.
- Examine, inventory, and store all incoming orders, and process invoices when orders are complete, determining proper storage requirements, and communicate with the specific faculty members who placed the order and perform an annual inventory with assistance from the Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator.
- Procure and make available SDS sheets for each procured chemical as required by law.
- Conducts frequent inspections of the chemical stockroom, chemistry laboratories, equipment, instruments, fume hoods, eye stations and deluge showers, and signage to ensure compliance with college policy, laboratory safety and OSHA standards, and local codes.
Additional Tasks Include:
- Transport incoming packages and mail relating to the stockroom when necessary.
- Perform other special job-related tasks for faculty in the Chemistry Department, such as assisting in the making of solutions for classroom demonstrations, as time permits.
- Serve on the departmental and college Safety Committee.
The successful candidate will have the following experience and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or a related field, experience with preparation of solutions, training in safe handling of chemicals, biohazards and proper waste disposal methods and training in chemical stockroom and inventory management
- Knowledge and understanding of laboratory safety standards, OSHA, EPA and related safety rules, regulations and procedures and safe handling of hazardous materials
- Familiarity with MSDS, Spreadsheets and databases
- 2 or more years’ experience working with college students in an academic laboratory or industrial laboratory environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, superior organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff, students, manufacturers, and vendors
- Ability to hire, train and supervise student workers in basic stockroom-related practices
- Responsible, independent stewardship of resources and management of inventory
- Experience with the handling of compressed gas cylinders and cryogenic liquid dewars and transportation of incoming orders and outgoing waste containers. Exposure to potentially dangerous situations/chemicals, environmental issues that require a range of safety and other precautions.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, application, transcripts, and contact information for three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Knox College is a nationally ranked, private, residential liberal arts college of 1420 undergraduate students located in Galesburg, Illinois. Founded in 1837 by social reformers strongly opposed to slavery, Knox was one of the first colleges in the United States open to all, regardless of race, gender, and financial means. With a campus population of remarkable diversity that includes students from 48 states and 51 countries, significant representation of first-generation college students, and substantial cultural and racial-ethnic diversity, Knox is a vibrant and creative community.
Knox College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, religion, disability, creed, or any other protected class.
Apply for Chemistry Stockroom Manager and Campus Chemical Hygiene
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly