Sign Language Interpreter II - Staff Pool
Primary responsibility is to provide direct interpretation and to perform those duties that will aid in the provision of the highest quality of interpreting/transliterating services. The duties include but are not limited to assignment preparation, consumer relations, and professional development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interpret/transliterate basic level and some higher level academic classes, lectures, student activity events, and other special events as needed, where some receptive interpreting would be required;
- Prepare for assignments by reviewing notes and course outline, previewing required texts, and course materials, and speaking with faculty, speaker, and/or students;
- Work cooperatively with department staff, faculty, college staff, students, and administrators;
- Must be available to accept interpreting assignments at alternative sites as needed;
- Meet regularly with the Supervisor of Interpreting Services to review evaluations from consumers and from Supervisor's observations for development activities;
- Assess language or communication modes of the consumers served;
- Serve as mentor to other interpreters and/or interns; and
- Demonstrate continuous professional development by maintaining interpreting skills, developing specialized content expertise, and enhancing interpersonal communication skills through participation in continuing education, in-service training and related educational opportunities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
High school diploma or GED required.
Associate's degree from an accredited college or university required or four (4) years directly related work experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
Hold Texas Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Certification Basic, Level II or Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Certification CI and CT.
Two (2) years working in a college or university setting experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrate knowledge and practice of the RID Code of Professional Conduct and Deaf culture; and
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel to assignments as needed.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.