Assistant Dean -Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship (R-070)
The Fort Hays State University College of Business and Entrepreneurship seeks to fill the position of Assistant Dean, a key position leading academic quality and continuous improvement activities within the college as well as assisting with the day-to-day operations of the college.
- A doctorate preferred, master’s degree required – other factors equal
- Substantial experience in higher education
- Substantial experience with data management and reporting
- Excellent problem solving skills and willingness to address issues ranging from individual student problems to complex international partnership agreements
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience working with both internal and external business college constituencies
- A strong commitment to student learning and success
- Substantial experience with assessment
- Demonstrated ability to write administrative reports needed for internal and external reporting and for establishing new initiatives
- Familiarity with Higher Learning Commission, AACSB and/or ACBSP accreditation processes and standards
- Familiarity with international cross-border programs
- Personal experience with teaching both face-to-face and distance learning and evidence of teaching excellence
- A successful track record of scholarly activity or professional practice
The Assistant Dean will have the following responsibilities:
- The Assistant Dean will be the key point of contact for advising RCOBE faculty and administrators on effective assessment and will work with college constituencies to guide the development of high quality, efficient learning assessment programs and to ensure that loop closing occurs.
- Take the lead role in working with faculty to create a comprehensive system for assessment of student learning in the BBA and MBA programs as these reach across all four departments with the RCOBE. At a minimum, this will entail:
- Maintaining and overseeing a data retention system;
- Examining, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting data both through written reports and oral presentations; and
- Working with curricular committees in loop closing to strengthen academic content and delivery;
- Take primary responsibility for execution of the respective ETS Field Tests in Business for both the BBA and MBA programs, reporting the results, and recognizing student achievement.
- Provide a support role for the four RCOBE departments as they refine and execute assessment processes in satisfaction of Higher Learning Commission requirements, and make curricular changes and improvements as needed to align with such requirements.
Accreditation/Professional Program Certifications/Endorsements:
The Assistant Dean is the administrator supporting the RCOBE’s accreditation activities. This individual will serve as the college liaison for coordination with the university’s Higher Learning Commission efforts. He or she will provide staff support for any specialized accreditations and program certifications pursued by disciplines with the RCOBE. These will likely include National Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Security and Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration. They may include AACSB or ACBSP accreditation.
The Assistant Dean will:
- Guide the relevant faculty on tasks needed to align for any current or potential accreditation committed to by an academic unit and the institution.
- Lead data gathering, collection, and retention for accreditation.
- Create reports and summarize data needed to obtain or to maintain accreditation.
- Highlight decisions that need to be made by disciplinary faculty and administrators.
- Resolve student complaints that reach the college level and represent the dean’s level in grade appeals.
- Coordinate and lead the development of articulation agreements with domestic community colleges and international universities – especially BBA articulations that involve more than one College department.
- Review and examine student course transfer credit and course equivalency for prospective and admitted transfer students.
- Serve as a member of the RCOBE’s international education team:
- Assure that RCOBE international program design and execution align with relevant accreditation standards and college policies;
- Work with the RCOBE International Coordinator to align assessment data collection and reporting between domestic and international programs;
- Assist the RCOBE International Coordinator with selection and hiring of faculty for off-shore programs;
- Assist the MBA Coordinator and International Coordinator with selection and hiring of GTAs for off-shore programs;
- Align international visiting scholars with FHSU faculty and needed resources;
- Arrange RCOBE agendas for visiting international administrators and partnership delegations;
- Travel periodically to international partnership locations as necessary to address assessment and program quality; and
- Assist in problem resolution in execution of RCOBE international programs.
- Serve as a resource for departmental chairs in evaluating the alignment of qualifications of faculty applicants with relevant accreditation standards.
- Supervise and evaluate the RCOBE’s distance learning staff advisors, support them in problem solving, and balance the workload among the advisors.
- Assist with developing budget proposals and analyzing costs.
- Work with college leadership and faculty to develop proposals for new program initiatives or transformations of current ones.
- Review grade distributions for RCOBE classes to assure that the college maintains an equitable grade point average and flag unusual grade distributions for communication between chairs and faculty and if necessary the dean.
- Review all student course evaluations and highlight both outstanding and concerning student evaluations for recognition or action.
- Serve as a resource for chairs in schedule development and review and approve departmental course schedules to assure balance in use of classrooms, deployment of faculty, and to minimize student schedule conflicts in needed courses.
- Produce an updated list of faculty presentations and publications for recognition.
- Notify department chairs of faculty whose scholarly accomplishments are not in line with position expectations and note outstanding scholarly accomplishments.
- Assist the Dean in coordinating the RCOBE Dean’s Executive Advisory Council and seeking feedback on curriculum and instruction, student outcomes, career development, and employer expectations of learning.
- Participate as a member of the COBE Executive Committee and represent the college on varying campus committees.
- Ordinarily, teach one course, face-to-face or on-line in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Assume additional assignments as requested by the Dean.
This appointment is primarily an administrative one with an annual contract subject to review. An academic appointment, and appointment to tenure track or tenure, will depend on the candidate’s credentials.
Eligibility for employment. The successful candidate must be a U.S. citizen or be eligible for U.S. employment.
Consideration of Candidates: Consideration of candidates will begin May 24, 2017 and continue until the search has been successfully concluded. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of four references.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit the Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Candidates requesting additional information about this search may do so by contacting the search committee at:
Dr. Stacey Smith
Chair, Assistant Dean Search Committee, Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
Email: email@example.com Phone: (785) 628-4696
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.
About the College:
Mission: The Fort Hays State University Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship (RCOBE) offers highly engaging educational experiences, preparing and supporting our students and alumni for professional success in a dynamic, global environment. Our focus is on instructional excellence, supported by faculty and student research; and the College provides service that benefits the university, our disciplines, and the greater community. (Mission, Adopted: March 2015)
Description: The college consists of four large and growing departments (Applied Business Studies; Economics, Finance, and Accounting; Informatics; and Management), and consists of more than 50 full-time faculty supported by key staff. In addition to a wide range of undergraduate programs, it has a robust Master of Business Administration program and also offers Master of Professional Studies degrees in Human Resource Management and varying areas of Informatics. On-campus students majoring in these academic areas number approximately 800 and domestic distance learning students number 1150. The RCOBE is housed in the historic, but recently remodeled McCartney Hall and newly constructed Hammond Hall. In addition to on-campus offerings, the college offers several undergraduate and graduate degrees on-line. It also participates in dual degree programs with two partner universities in China. Among the college’s many distinctive attributes is the Dane G. Hansen Entrepreneurship Scholarship Hall, which opened in the 2016-2017 academic year. Website: http://www.fhsu.edu/cob/.
About Fort Hays State University:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
About Hays, Kansas:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.