EOC Career and Employment Advisor
The Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC) was established in 1966 by the State University of New York (SUNY) as the Urban Center in Manhattan, as a result of an act of the New York State Legislature.
The MEOC has been funded by the State University of New York University Center for Academic and Workforce Development (SUNY UCAWD) and administered by Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) of the City University of New York during its entire history. Educational Opportunity Centers provide academic instruction, vocational training, and support services to educationally and economically disadvantaged adults.
The MEOC seeks staff members at all levels who are dedicated to improving the educational and vocational opportunities of adult learners in New York City.
The Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC) is located in Harlem on 125th Street. For additional information on the Center please review our website: http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/meoc.
- Develops relationships with employers and Workforce One Centers or similar to create placement opportunities for EOC students.
- Provides job readiness assessments and review of student progress towards job readiness.
- Conducts job preparedness, personal and professional development workshops.
- Refers students to job openings, provides follow-up to students to support job placement.
- Organizes job fairs, career day, mock interviews, and other related activities to support student employment placement.
- Meticulous attention to detail when data tracking and inputting data into the student data system, provides reports and updates as needed.
- Commitment to working towards MEOC employment placement targets.
- Evening and/or weekend hours may be required.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- Two years of experience working with underserved students gain and retain employment highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational and social skills are highly preferred.
- Appropriate experience with programs for the underrepresented and the ability to work with a culturally diverse population preferred.
- Knowledge of best practices and procedures for an educational institution, workforce development, and employment placement and retention advisement techniques used in student services highly preferred.
- Experience with electronic student record systems preferred.
- Master's Degree preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides vocational counseling and career development information to students seeking employment and promotes Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) services to the community and other interested parties.
- Provides training and coaching in basic job search skills
- Assesses transferable skills and interests
- Assists with vocational planning
- Provides referrals to job development training and other resources
- Counsels students with barriers to employment
- Provides follow-up services
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: EOC Career Job Developer
EOC Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary: $39,282 - $71,268
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
June 1, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Job Title: EOC Career and Employment Advisor
Job ID: 16704
Full/Part Time: Full-Time