Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Director of Finance and Administration (Business Services Director)
Position #626260 - Requisition 09344
The Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology is seeking applications for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Director of Finance and Administration (Business Services Director) position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Department Director of Finance and Administration (1.0 FTE) coordinates policies and procedures and oversees the implementation of teaching, research, and clinical programs within the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology. The Director of Finance and Administration has authority over the business affairs, funds and resources of the Department and serves as Fund Director of Finance and Administration. The Director of Finance and Administration represents the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology within the CU School of Medicine part of the University of Colorado Denver for both the Obstetrician-Gynecologists providing service to the University of Colorado Hospital and the Obstetrician-Gynecologists providing service to the Children's Hospital Colorado, providing essential communication and networking for the effective functioning of these entities. The Director of Finance and Administration also provides leadership and oversight for the administrative and staff of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Examples of Work Performed:
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology Director of Finance and Administration may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages all funds of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, including State appropriations, gift and endowment funds, grant and contract funds, clinical contract funds, and grant release funds.
- Manages the financial aspects of Strategic Planning, Faculty/Staff Recruitment and Investment Opportunity Analysis.
- Manages faculty practice plan and clinical revenues for the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Prepares budgets, controls and monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds.
- Supervises and coordinates accounting, data processing and other computer systems as necessary for financial management and statistical reporting.
- Prepares faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the Dean's Office and the Department Chair for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitors physician services billing and collection activity where appropriate, and coordinates all related activity with the administration of CU Medicine.
- Regularly reviews Departmental financial statements and ensures that the Department is fiscally viable.
- Administers the flow of administrative, financial and workload statistical data and reporting for the department.
- Administers pertinent State Fiscal Policies, State, CU School of Medicine and University of Colorado rules and procedures, and applicable State and Federal laws and standards applying to business management (personnel, accounting, auditing, etc.).
- Develops, implements and enforces additional policies at the departmental level on behalf of the Senior Associate Dean, and Chair.
- Serves as a member of the School's Director of Finance and Administration Committee and represents the department on numerous task forces and committees as requested by the Dean's Office and the Department Chair.
- Attends departmental meetings such as Executive Committee meetings, faculty meetings and regularly scheduled meetings with the Chair to present data and participate in discussions regarding the department.
- Oversees and coordinates the appointment, re-appointment, promotion, tenure, retention activities and grievance procedures for faculty in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology with appropriate campus and outside agency personnel when necessary.
- Serves as a business and administrative resource for individual faculty members relative to all faculty affairs. Information requests by individual faculty members will be coordinated and processed through the Chair's office.
- Monitors educational programs (medical, allied health, graduate and house staff programs) with respect to administration and resource management.
- Prepares reports such as self-studies, ACGME reports, and other required documents as requested by the Dean's Office and the Department Chair.
- Supervises and coordinates personnel matters for the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, including position establishment, recruitment, affirmative action, hiring and supervision of staff, performance planning and appraisal, and termination processes.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Processes all levels of personnel documentation necessary for faculty and staff actions as needed; maintaining appropriate personnel records (e.g. vacation, sick leave, etc.).
- Monitors the performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the performance planning/appraisal program.
- Coordinates departmental purchasing activities, including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases.
- Oversees Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology facilities, both on and off campus, to ensure efficiency of operations.
- Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long range planning of facilities. Department manages nine free standing School of Medicine Clinics.
- Works in conjunction with the University of Colorado Hospital Medical Directors for inpatient and outpatient Ob/Gyn activities and with Children's Hospital of Colorado Medical Directors in MFM and Pediatric Gynecology in determining the best equipment to be purchased for capital budget and participates in capital budget discussions as directed by the Chair of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Participates with the Chair and designated faculty to install and implement all technical, radiological (ultrasound), computer and information systems equipment.
- Fosters and promotes financial growth and health of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology through the development of new and expanded funding sources and opportunities.
- Independently writes business plans for new programs, contracts, joint ventures, physician networks, etc.
- Serves as Public Relations liaison for primary care physician groups, and other Obstetrics & Gynecology Department constituencies.
- Participates in activities, which may include grant writing, fund raising events and programs, and coordination of volunteer activity, including volunteer faculty.
- Coordinates newsletter for use in soliciting funds twice a year.
- Represents the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology to visitors, clients, media and the public.
- Participates and serves on University, community, state and national organizations committees and task forces for the purpose of furthering Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and School of Medicine goals and objectives, and refining the business and administrative functions of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and School of Medicine.
- Coordinates media public relations activities with the Center's Public Relations Department.
- Participates in planning activities for the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, including long range and short range planning. Shares responsibility for projection of programs, patient/client census, revenues and expenses, personnel needs and facility needs.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, healthcare administration, public administration or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible management experience, which includes developing and managing financial analyses and budgets, as well as supervising administrative and support personnel.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
- A Master's or higher earned degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, healthcare administration, public administration or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working in the University of Colorado system.
- Five (5) or more years of broad and diversified management experience, which included financial management.
- Three (3) or more years of relevant experience working in a medical setting, such as an academic Obstetrics & Gynecology Department environment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, Department Directors, Administrators, managers, hospital management, and CU Medicine.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to apply, diversified financial management skills.
- Ability to manage funds effectively, from a variety of sources.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply, accepted theories, practices and principles of general management and administration.
- Possess sufficient advanced knowledge of the workings of an academic Obstetrics & Gynecology Department to apply these general principles thereto.
- Ability to communicate effectively in brief, focused and well organized oral and written presentations.
- Ability to establish work priorities and provide follow through to insure completion of activities, both personally and in subordinates.
- Ability to plan and organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities, as they apply to the complex workings of an academic Obstetrics & Gynecology Department.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Theresa Harper at Teresa.Harper@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20249 - SOM-Obstetrics & Gynecology
Posting Date: Apr 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Cathy Kenworthy
Posting Contact Email: Cathy.Kenworthy@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00626260