Licensed Practical Nurse
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.Job Description:
Provide evidence based nursing care for patients through the nursing process including assessment, planning, implementation of diverse nursing interventions, and evaluation.
Essential knowledge and skills include demonstration of therapeutic communication skills, compliance with all privacy and confidentiality requirements for patient information, and clinical competence with tasks and responsibilities as described in the nurse practice act.
In addition, demonstrates compassion providing nursing care, maintains safe environment in all situations, and provides patient education using approved documents/forms.
Works collaboratively with all health care members to ensure that Lafene Health Center provides comprehensive, high quality, easily accessible, affordable outpatient health care service to the student community.
Actively seeks learning opportunities to serve as a clinical resource and an advocate for health education, promotion and wellness.
Maintains a positive attitude and demonstrates flexibility when clinical needs of agency require rotation into various areas of the clinic in order to meet patient needs.
Assume accountability for all actions.
Demonstrates professional and appropriate verbal and nonverbal behavior in all settings.
A minimum of one year experience as an LPN preferred and possess current BCLS certification. Nursing is a practice discipline with cognitive, affective, sensory, and psychomotor performance requirements. This nurse must have the strength and coordination to perform both fine and gross motor tasks required for safe patient care. This includes (but is not limited to) the ability to:
- Manipulate diagnostic instruments.
- Perform CPR.
- Perform interventions such as dressing changes, and administration of medications.
- Administer medications by oral, SQ, and IM routes.
- Manipulate technical equipment including that required for life support.
- Perform treatment and procedures.
- Work in a standing or squatting position.
- Perform frequent walking for up to 8 hours.
- Push/pull weight of patient up to three feet.
- Use electronic communication systems, specifically electronic medical records.
This nurse must have the ability to monitor and assess healthcare needs of patients they care for. This includes (but is not limited to) the ability to:
- Hear and interpret information the patient/family/team member is verbally communicating.
- Accurately hear ausculatory sounds on patient exam.
- Hear auditory sounds/alarm from technical equipment.
- Communicate over the telephone.
- Palpate, percuss, and perform other tactile skills required in physical exam of the patient.
- Explain treatment procedures and the plan of care in an understandable manner.
- Complete healthcare teaching in an understandable manner.
- Document nursing assessments, interventions, and evaluate outcomes.
- Read patient related documentation as well as supporting medical/nursing literature
Possess the cognitive ability to consistently and dependably engage in critical thinking. This includes (but is not limited to) the ability to:
- Exercise sound clinical judgment in a timely manner.
- Safely prioritize actions based on patient needs.
- Accurately perform required calculations.
- Accurately interpret data to determine necessary action.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please include a letter of interest, resume, three professional references, and copies of current licensure. Screening of Applications Begins: Screening begins immediately, and continues until position is filled. Salary Range / Pay Rate: $15.67 - $24.29 per hour Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
In addition, the nurse must possess the ability to establish professional relationships and maintain professional accountability in the legal and ethical realm. This includes (but is not limited to) the ability to:
- Act ethically and responsibly.
- Demonstrate compassion in patient care.
- Demonstrate mature and therapeutic relationships with patients and staff.
- Assume accountability for all actions.
- Demonstrates professional and appropriate verbal and nonverbal behavior in all settings.