Director of Human Resources
Bard College is seeking a Director of Human Resources. The Director is responsible for directing the daily operations of the Office of Human Resources, ensuring a smooth workflow between functional areas and resulting in excellent and timely service to employees. The Director will develop, implement and coordinate policies, programs and procedures in support of employment (In-and Out-Processing), orientation, 403B plans, leaves of absence (STD, LTD, FMLA, WC, etc.) and other employee benefits as well as records management. This incumbent is responsible to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, as well as contract and policy provisions. Works closely with the VP of Administration in the delivery of services and makes recommendations as appropriate.
List of Essential Activities:
- Oversees all aspects of the college’s benefits programs including but not limited to: health and dental insurance, 403B plans, supplemental insurances, life insurance, paid time off, leaves of absence, Workers Compensation matters, tuition benefits, etc.
- Prepares and/or reviews all new hire letters.
- Directs daily operations of the Office of Human Resources; ensures timely and appropriate resolution of employee inquiries or issues.
- Provides primary oversight of all personnel records, utilizing proper retention and storage methods.
- Oversees the timely and accurate processing of all matters related to incoming and outgoing employees.
- Develops and implements department operational objectives, policies and procedures; formulates and implements recommendations for the continuous improvement of the department.
- Analyzes existing services and procedures, recommends, implements, documents and communicates improvements or modifications.
- Prepares reports and conducts analysis; prepares financial information as needed.
- Performs annual 403B audit, and works closely with the finance office.
- Develops and delivers training programs and workshops; coordinates benefits/vendor workshops.
- Other duties, projects and committee/task force participation as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations or related field.
- Minimum of three years' experience administering employee pension/benefits programs.
- At least seven years Human Resources experience in a fast paced environment with competing demands that required excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, client service, relationship building, problem solving and multi-tasking skills.
- Minimum of three years of direct supervisory experience.
- Recent experience using MS Office Suite and an ERP database system (preferably Ellucian Colleague) with a general adaptability to new technology solutions.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations or related business discipline.
- Experience in a unionized environment.
- Benefits administration experience in a college, government or similar environment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three contact references through Interfolio.com.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.