EFL Faculty Positions for Men and Women
The Teaching Context
With separate campuses for men and women, Al Yamamah University (YU) offers undergraduate degrees in Business Administration, Computing and IT as well as Executive MBA programs. English being the medium of instruction, INTERLINK at Al Yamamah provides an intensive English language program during the foundation year to prepare students for their academic studies at the University. INTERLINK’s other constituencies are: academically bound students; businesses and government agencies whose personnel need tailored, short-term programs for special purposes; K-12 schools needing teacher trainers; and individuals in the larger community wishing to improve their English language skills for personal, professional, and study abroad purposes. The INTERLINK/Al Yamamah partnership is also aimed at increasing international understanding and educational exchanges between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and North America.
Due to their shared values and educational philosophies of student-centeredness and innovative experiential and project-based curricula, both institutions have been growing steadily; they have been recognized for their quality of instruction, service orientation, customer satisfaction, and focus on student success. Gaining in reputation for quality instruction and client-focused services, both institutions have achieved excellent reputation among the private sector and governmental agencies.
Candidates for these positions must:
- be able to commit to a two-year contract;
- be committed to students, the profession and to a learner-centered and humanistic teaching philosophy espoused by INTERLINK and Al Yamamah University;
- have a BA with a CELTA/DELTA/ or TEFL (120 hrs) Certificate (NB: The Saudi government does not recognize online degrees or certificates; all must be residential.)
- have a minimum of two years ESL/EFL teaching experience with adult learners;
- have at least one year of teaching and living experience in another culture and/or with international students in an English- speaking country;
- be creative and flexible in order to adapt to an experiential, project- and needs-based approach to teaching;
- be sensitive to cultural differences (able to adapt to a way of life requiring understanding, conformity and flexibility)
Non-native speakers must:
- have near-native proficiency in English;
- have at least one of their higher education degrees from an English-speaking country;
- have at least one year of ESL teaching experience in an English-speaking/Western country.
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- have an MA in TESOL or a related field
- have backgrounds in English for Specific Purposes, teacher training, teaching of science or mathematics;
- are fluent in other languages;
- have Peace Corps or other humanitarian volunteer/service/work experience.
- 20 hours of weekly instruction
- Administrative duties which include student advising, record-keeping, and report writing
- Participation in program activities (training, orientation, workshops, placement testing, etc.)
- Participation in meetings (with students, faculty, parents, and others on and off campus)
- Keeping office hours to advise/counsel students who may need extra help
- Serving on committees, participating in on- and off-campus activities and events
Salary, Benefits and Terms
- Initial starting salary of $38,000 – $40,000 per annum
- Annual salary increases of up to 5%, with a maximum salary ceiling of $45,000
- 5% end-of-service bonus for each year of completed contract
- Round-trip transportation to and from Saudi Arabia
- Furnished housing
- Medical insurance coverage
- 45-day paid annual leave with international transportation and 20 days of local holidays
- Local transportation to and from the place of instruction
- Learn more about INTERLINK at Al Yamamah (also referred to as SILC) at http://www.yu.edu.sa
- To apply please visit: appview.interlink.edu
NB: Applicants not following the application procedure will not be acknowledged.