Master’s degree and years of leadership experience. Knowledge of records in a higher education setting. Excellent administrative skills.
Purpose of Job
Assists the Associate Registrar & Vice Provost for Academic Affairs & Student Records in maintaining all official academic records for the University.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Assistant Registrar is an essential part of a collaborative office environment in the Office of Student Records – supporting academic operations that require the use of the student information system (BANNER) and is responsible for the management and supervision of the operations of Records, Registration, Articulation and Assessment Services within the Student Record’s Office. In the absence of the Associate Registrar, the Assistant will act on all matters, including making decisions, handling appeals, attending meetings, interpreting and implementing policies, etc. that the Associate Registrar normally engages in while present. The Assistant Registrar is expected to handle multiple responsibilities, solve complex problems and ensure that office staff, systems, and processes meet service expectations and strategic goals for the department.
Essential Job Functions
• Assist the Associate Registrar & Vice Provost for Academic Affairs & Student Records with day-to-day operations to include monitoring the human, financial and technological resources that support the daily operations of the Student Record’s Office.
• Supervise the daily activities of staff and initiates disciplinary processes within the scope of authority and in compliance with Human Resources policies and procedures; assist in interviewing and hiring; develop, implement and evaluate training of new and current employees; manage and allocates workload to maintain service and operational standards; assist staff with difficult or unusual tasks; communicates impact of change to staff and resolve problems. Train and supervise work study students.
• Approves, monitors and reports vacation and other absences for all staff under the direct supervision of the Associate Registrar. Arrange for coverage for all vacation and long-term absences as required.
• Supervise/assist with the coordination of classroom scheduling and assignment of space for semester courses and determine suitability. Coordinate the preparation, modification, distribution, and implementation of master schedules in collaboration with Deans, the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs & Student Records, Associate Registrar, and the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.
• Advise eligible students receiving available veteran benefits and educational services; explain program regulations and policies; provide assistance and information in person and on the telephone regarding various G.I. Bill and Tuition Assistance programs; review, verify and process related forms and applications; train and provide work direction to Veterans work-study students.
• Complete graduation audits and assist with other preparations for commencement. Maintain and distribute graduation lists. Notify students and faculty of graduation requirements.
• Be aware of College, State, and Federal regulations pertaining to compliance with privacy, academic, regulatory, and accreditation policies and requirements.
Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Must have excellent interpersonal, customer relations, communications, and organization skills.
• Must have prior experience in using BANNER Student Information Systems.
• Must have knowledge of supporting systems: go.alcorn.edu, Extender, TrackDat and WAWF.
• Must demonstrate knowledge of federal and state regulations including FERPA and Veterans Administration.
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office, e-mail, and internet.