College Laboratory Technician - Electrical Engineering
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Job Title Name: College Laboratory Technician
College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Chair of Electrical Engineering the College Laboratory Technician will perform, in addition to the above, the following duties:
- Maintain teaching laboratories, repair equipment and support the research efforts of the faculty. Provide advice to faculty on formulation of new experiments and advise students on senior design projects.
- Offer advice to students and faculty on accomplishing a certain task while remaining safe and protecting the department's most sensitive and expensive equipment.
- Research and handle the purchase of specialized equipment for the senior design classes, teaching laboratories, and faculty research.
- Maintain the specialized peripherals and software of undergraduate lab computers.
- Maintain the LabView virtual instrumentation programs that facilitate the collection of data by the students.
- Assist with the laboratory manual and arrange for the duplication and delivery of all of the manuals and electronic component kits needed for the coming semester to the bookstore.
- Maintain the keys to the department's offices and laboratories.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
Open until filled with resume review to begin on May 15, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: City College of New York
Job Title: College Laboratory Technician - Electrical Engineering
Job ID: 16674
Full/Part Time: Full-Time