Vice President for External Affairs and Chief of Staff
Responsible to the University President while serving as a key member of the senior administrative team. Principal administrative official responsible for the direction of all operations of several depts, divisions, or colleges under same/similar realm; other duties as designated by the President.
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties and entrepreneurial spirit, draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. The university's alumni network is 100,000 strong. A Carnegie-designated doctoral institution, it is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country.
The Vice President for External Affairs and Chief of Staff serves as a key member of the President's cabinet. Responsible for the university's overall external relations, to include several departments to supervise. Incumbent will provide leadership, counsel and strategic direction to the President and the campus community that will optimize Kennesaw State University's academic, research, public service and assets and foster the development of partnerships with the University's diverse constituencies and stakeholders. Along with the Provost, the Vice President will represent the President and the University, as required, at public and private engagements. In addition, the Vice President will ensure that local, state and federal governmental relations are developed and maintained to obtain governmental support for its programs, research and facilities that will allow the university to achieve its short- and long-term goals. As Chief of Staff acts as a point of contact between top management, employees, and/or other stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Knowledge of the goals, objectives, structure and operations of a public institution of higher education.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, and management skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Advanced analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze, summarize, and effectively present data.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with senior leadership, faculty, trustees, and donor constituencies.
- Demonstrated success and analytical aptitude in the development and implementation of a wide range of communications and branding strategies and tactics for diverse campus constituencies.
- Ability to effectively work in an integrated marketing and communications setting that includes technology, public and media relations, branding, design, promotion and advertising
- Proven success in interactions with local and national media.
Highly competitive compensation and benefits package offered.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check and MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://hr.kennesaw.edu/managers/docs/Credit_check_criteria.pdf and http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university required.
- At least 10-15 years of executive management experience, including providing counsel to senior executives and administrators.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in Higher Education.