Part-time Administrative Assistant
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking applications for a Part-Time Administrative Assistant.
Position Summary: The Part-time Administrative Assistant for the School of Nursing & Health Services provides administrative support to the Dean of Nursing and Health Services and assists the department in carrying out various projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists with various projects and/or special events assigned by the Dean through faculty and/or her administrative assistant.
• Compiles and completes documents for data entry into the Banner system.
• Compiles, transcribes and maintains minutes of assigned meetings.
• Serve as coordinator to the medical assisting, certified nursing assistant, health information technology, ECG, phlebotomy, EMS and fire science programs.
• Manages the Health Services reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communication both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
• Receives and screen telephone calls and visitors and provides routine information, which requires a detailed knowledge of department procedures.
• Initiates and coordinates all facets of mass mailings for the Health Services programs.
• Responsible for the office day-to-day operations (such as requisitions, mail and customer service inquiries).
• Assist with interview arrangements and/or meeting scheduling as the need arises.
• Prepare letters, reports, meeting notices, room arrangements and food functions as needed for special meetings for the Dean.
• Establishes, maintains and revises record keeping and filing systems. Classifies, sorts and files correspondence and other documents. Develops and implements procedures associated with the overall operation of the office and is responsible for coordinating the flow of work through the office.
• Participates as needed in special department projects.
• Share coverage for co-workers in the School of Nursing and Health Services as needed during vacations, lunches, and sick time.
• Assists with coordination of certification testing for the Certified Nursing Assistant program with Pierson Vue.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• An Associates degree in related field.
• Three to five (3-5) years’ experience in office administration or equivalent setting.
• Technical training in Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
• Various databases, typing, and business English; usually acquired through one year of college.
• Ability to read and write well enough to type, edit, and proofread business correspondence and prepare minutes.
• Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Problem-solving and analytical abilities.
• Organized and a team player.
• High degree of professionalism.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Posting Number 20110558
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least an earned Associates degree or equivalent college credit?
- Cover Letter