Librarian - Digital Collections Librarian
Job Title Librarian - Digital Collections Librarian
Internal Title Digital Collections Librarian
Requisition Number 011690
Minimum Salary Salary commensurate with qualifications.
Pay Basis Annually
Department Thomas Cooper Library
Campus USC Columbia
Expected Fill Date
Job Posting Date 04-27-2017
Minimum Posting Period Ends 05-03-2017
Job Close Date
Type of Position
Job Type Full-Time
Job Category Faculty
If Research Grant/Time Limited, indicate the benefits provided
Reporting to the Digital Initiatives Librarian, the Digital Collections Librarian is responsible for managing the numerous and varied digitization projects pursued by the Digital Collections unit. This position will direct a staff of students and part-time employees carrying out scanning, application of metadata and overall digital asset management and collaborate with curators and librarians in the six special collections within the University of South Carolina Libraries as well as other librarians and external partners. This position will sustain and expand the Libraries' data asset management capabilities. Serving as an expert on non-MARC metadata, the Digital Collections Librarian will direct and coordinate the integration of metadata into production of digital collections. The Digital Collections Librarian will also assist in supporting external digital collections initiatives of interest and value to the University Libraries (such as, but not limited to, the Digital Public Library of America, and the South Carolina Digital Library).
Areas of Responsibility:
* Manage and coordinate assigned projects for the Libraries' Digital Collections,
* Train and supervises student, temporary, grant-funded and intern staff in processes and procedures, workflow management, scanning, metadata creation, and digital preservation,
* Plan, track, and document projects throughout the digital lifecycle including capture, presentation, and other digital asset management activities,
*Collaborate with Library Technology Services colleagues to support Digital Collections hardware and software; develop and fine-tine workflow automation; and effectively communicate problems/enhancement requests as well as engage in discussions about the management of digital objects,
* Collaborate extensively with other special collections departments in the University Libraries,
* Calibrate and maintain digital imaging equipment such as overhead and flatbed scanners,
* Review scans and metadata records created by staff for quality and adherence to metadata standards,
* Participate in the design of workflows to facilitate access and preservation of the digital materials in the collections,
* Serve as primary resource for best practices in digitization by staying current on digital library trends, developments, applications, and industry standards in order to ensure the libraries adopt appropriate changes in digital collection management activities,
* Maintain awareness of trends in metadata and resource discovery; share and apply that knowledge.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. USC is an EOE.
Master's degree from an ALA-accredited Library and Information Science program. Two years of related experience. Project management experience. Experience with content management systems, such as CONTENTdm. Working knowledge of metadata standards such as MARC, EAD, TEI, MODS, METS, VRA Core and Dublin Core and knowledge of authority control, subject analysis, and controlled vocabularies.
Documents which must be associated with this posting
List of References
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applicants will begin on or after June 7, 2017.
SOC Code 25-4011