Director, Retail Dining and Hospitality Services
8AM - 5PM
$67,300 - $116,200
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Dining, Hospitality & Retail Services, the Director of Retail Dining will direct, manage and coordinate the seven-day operations of the retail portion of the department, including; Quick Service restaurants, central production & distribution, Catering & Conference Services, and The Market at Glen Mor. The Director supervises five (5) and indirectly supervises 450 (career, limited and student employees). Responsible for developing and implementing the accountability controls for the management staff and to work closely with staff to ensure maximum operational efficiencies and effective programming. The Director is responsible for planning, directing and organizing the daily business management practices for operations, human resources, financial controls, menu/product development and execution, maintenance, and research and development for all facilities. Approves, audits all food and non-food procurements. Oversees all human resources functions, including hiring, supervision, evaluations, time reporting, and training and development activities. Responsible for an operations budget of approximately $12 million and for ensuring that expenses are established and appropriately budgeted. Represents Dining Services on planning and design committees for new capital projects. Serves as a member of the Dining Services Management Team responsible for quality leadership, services and programs within Dining Services.
Knowledge of food service operations management, including cost control and expense analysis, strategic planning, labor scheduling, production, specification and meal plan control.
Excellent decision making and reasoning skills, and excellent ability to develop original ideas to solve problems and perform operations analysis and quality control analysis.
Excellent and effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
Thorough knowledge in food service operations and sanitation regulations.
Thorough verbal and written communication skills in the English language, including active listening, dynamic flexibility, and critical thinking, and ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
Intermediate computer applications skills.
Proven ability to work independently, initiating innovative new programs, unit growth, development and change, and to deal with high pressure and emergency situations.
Demonstrated supervisory, leadership and human resource management experience to effectively administer and manage within a diverse and complex organization including recruitment, hiring, evaluation, compensation, time management, training and safety programs, and performance standards.
Advance knowledge of computer programs (Word, Excel, & Power Point) and menu and inventory management systems to administer and manage food service systems and the ability to create spreadsheets, reports, and presentations.
Knowledge of University systems, policies and procedures and familiarity with a UC campus community, its goals and philosophies.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview