Assistant Director of Admissions
Title: Assistant Director of Admissions
Department: Office of Admissions
School/Management Center: School of Medicine
Job ID: 6101
The Assistant Director of Admissions will administer operational processes for the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. The assistant director will report to the Director of Admissions and will work closely with the Assistant Dean and Associate Dean for Admissions. The assistant director will supervise the Admissions Operations Coordinator. Areas of responsibility for the assistant director will include the coordination and supervision of operations of the admissions process including application screening and interviews, applicant development, marketing communications, data tracking and outreach to the local SOM community. The assistant director will be highly involved in the strategic planning process for the department in developing long term goals to continue progress and innovation and will coordinate organizational reviews to identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and to evaluate operational effectiveness. The assistant director will be an ambassador of the School of Medicine and will have direct contact with key constituencies.
- Evaluate, review, and invite applicants for interviews from a pool of 6,800. Interview applicants. (20%)
- Compile and analyze applicant data. Provide reports to Admissions Office leadership and screening team to inform and improve admissions process. (15%)
- Recruit and coordinate faculty interviewers, screeners, and admissions committee members. (10%)
- Act as liaison between the admissions offices of the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Medical Scientist Training Program, and to the Student Committee on Admissions student representatives program. Primary liaison with other School of Medicine departments such as the Offices of Student Affairs, Curricular Affairs, Diversity Initiatives and Community Engagement, and the Registrar. (10%)
- Develop and maintain recruiting programs such as social media/mass email campaigns, campus visits, and website maintenance. (10%)
- Participate in all aspects of the recruitment process. Attend regional and national recruiting fairs and individual school visits as assigned. Compose recruitment correspondence for prospective applicants and current applicants in the admissions cycle. (10%)
- Assist in the development of diversity recruitment initiatives. Advise applicants regarding potential for admission to medical school. (10%)
- Serve in leadership roles on interview days and present informational sessions with interviewees. (5%)
- Supervise the Admissions Operations Coordinator. Perform tasks related to human resources; interview and train new staff members, assist in maintaining time records, and database management. (5%)
- Collaborate with senior admissions administration to develop and implement planning measurement standards and operational indicators. Provide regular reports to senior leadership on status of strategic planning progress and strategic initiatives. (5%)
- Provide assistance to Financial Aid as required and participate in financial literacy counseling.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Continuous interactions with Medical Education faculty and staff as well as Academic Division colleagues/faculty for the recruitment of interviewers and for follow up feedback after interviews have taken place and for essential day to day functions.
University: Frequent interactions within the School of Medicine and within the university with university pre-med advisors/faculty when they also conduct interviews with applicants. Infrequent contact at administrative forums and HR information sessions. Will represent the SOM at meetings pertaining to university admissions processes as needed.
External: Continuous interactions with constituent in-person and via phone/email/social media- prospective applicants, current applicants, interviewees, pre-med advisors across the US to promote and provide information about the school.
Supervisory responsibility for the Admissions Operations Coordinator.
Experience: 3 or more years of experience working in an admissions or health professions advising office and/or strong foundation in interviewing and counseling skills.
Education/Licensing: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in business, marketing or education preferred.
- Familiarity with integrated database management systems, including reporting.
- High comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Google Apps, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and social media platforms.
- Must have capacity to think critically and manage complicated issues.
- Attention to detail; ability to problem solve and follow an issue through to resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (including oral, written, and presentation.
- Strong commitment to customer service and must be able to act as a strong ambassador of the SOM to all constituents.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivation and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team.
- Must be able to process complex and highly confidential information in accordance with FERPA guidelines.
General office working environment. Occasional evenings and weekends required. Must be willing and able to travel to assigned recruitment events.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
CWRU offers a flexible benefits package including tuition waiver for employees and dependents; Respond in confidence, including salary history : CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY, Human Resources Job Code #6101, http://www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/employment/career.html