Database Administrator 1
Database Administrator 1
Job Number: 74781
The Department of Biomedical Data Science at Stanford University is seeking a Database Administrator 1 to install, configure, upgrade, administer, monitor, and maintain operationally efficient databases for Stanford Alzheimer's Disease Research Center (http://med.stanford.edu/adrc.html). Candidate with strong knowledge of complex query writing and experience working with client server databases and excellent time management skill will be given first consideration.
- Install, configure, and support relational database management systems (RDBMS).
- Work on databases using intermediate level database design and programming techniques.
- Assist in the creation of databases and query tools for data mining.
- Manage the database for ADRC and make necessary upgrade when needed.
- Data entry and error checking.
- Manage backup/recovery services for data/database systems.
- Coordinate and monitor usage of database, including potential security issues/vulnerabilities, and assure the integrity of database.
- Perform ongoing and problem diagnostics, resolve operational and user problems, and interface with vendors on technical issues as required.
- Participate in the design, configuration, and implementation of new database environments, systems, and tools.
- Perform other database administration activities as necessary.
- Provide technical documentation on system setup and operational procedures for users.
- Maintain current knowledge of technology trends and their application in the marketplace.
- Experience with Perl programming, Excel and REDCap.
- This position will require extensive experience with claims data for use in a research setting.
- Stanford experience a plus.
- Experience working with PHI.
- Experience with Access databases.
- Experience in statistical programming using R.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience with the installation and operation of a relational database system and database applications.
- Experience with external user functions, internal systems services, and file system structures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of systems platform.
- Experience with installing and configuring relational databases management systems software.
- Extensive experience in database administration with proven ability to track and report on capacity, current utilization and projected growth, and general health of databases.
- Experience with database design and programming techniques such as views, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database security protocols.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modeling techniques.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems of moderate scope independently, especially on networked computers of varying types and operating systems.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team member.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Extended and weekend hours.
- Must be available for on-call work.
Job: Information Technology Services
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.