I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
George Washington University’s Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine (MITM) conducts innovative, fundamental, basic and translational research for HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. MITM has a strong tradition of training and policy advocacy for these infectious and parasitic diseases, which initiate and perpetuate poverty and suffering worldwide. Additional information on MITM can be found at the following link: http://smhs.gwu.edu/microbiology/
MITM is searching for a full-time Research Assistant for Dr. Jones’ laboratory. The Jones lab was established in April 2015, and focuses on studying the interaction between HIV-specific T-cells and NK cells with the viral reservoirs that persist in antiretroviral (ARV) treated individuals. In addition to describing this natural interaction we are actively developing methods to harness natural and engineered T cells to contribute to reservoir eradication. We are evaluating these approaches ex vivo using leukapheresis samples and in vivo using a humanized mouse model. We have a particular interest in translating promising approaches into the clinic. This position will aid the current researchers (Postdoctoral Scientist, Research Scientists and/or Lab Manager) in planning, executing, and analyzing immunology and virology experiments in the context of HIV-1 infection. The individual will conduct experiments under the direct supervision of a Senior Postdoc and will also receive mentoring and direct guidance from the Principal Investigator in order to advance their career in academic research.
• Plans and schedules experiments consistent with the timeline and objectives of planned and ongoing research projects, including working with collaborators.
• Performs mouse colony maintenance, dosing of mice with therapeutics in experimental protocols, assistance with surgical procedures and tissue extraction, and collection of behavioral and physical data.
• Optimizes, develops, qualifies and executes the following: viral RNA extraction, HIV viral load analysis (qRT-PCR), ELISAs, plasma and PBMC isolation from whole blood, PBMC subpopulation isolation, flow cytometry, cell and tissue culture (including of HIV-infected human and animal tissues), DNA sequencing, and preparation of viral stocks.
• Records and analyzes data, and summarizes results using basic statistical techniques
• Performs general maintenance of good laboratory practice, compliance with Biosafety guidelines, maintenance of inspection records and generates SOPs and reports
• Maintains and troubleshoots equipment
• Works closely with students and Animal Resource Facility staff
• Participates in intramural and extramural group meetings and presents data
• Assist with the planning and execution of community outreach and educational events
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
A BA/BS in related discipline is required, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in immunological techniques including: ELISA and flow cytomety.
• Experience with mouse colony maintenance and handling techniques.
• Experience in molecular biology techniques, in particular viral RNA extraction and viral loads (qPCR), PCR, digital droplet PCR, and MiSeq sequencing will also be valued.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Service and Support Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00 Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: RP000244 Job Open Date: 02/23/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter